Thursday, November 20, 2014

Bonjour de Paris! (Day 31 - GToE)

Holy cow! I'm halfway through my trip! I cannot believe how quickly the time is flying by. 

Anyway, I made it to Paris! Yes! Last night I boarded the 10pm trip to Paris from Munich and arrived around 9:30 this morning. A 10 minute walk to my hostel and I was ready to revisit Paris. Today was all about rediscovering this city and see if I still love it as much as I did 14+ years ago. Well, I discovered that I still love Paris. Not necessarily Parisians but there is a reason why they call Paris "The City of Light". It's that light that makes this city just so amazing.

I began my revisit in the heart of Paris: Notre-Dame de Paris. This nearly 700 year old cathedral is a marvel. The most impressive parts of the cathedral are the beautiful stained glass windows, particularly the rose windows. After leaving the cathedral, I walked behind Notre-Dame and came across one of the many bridges in Paris. There were thousands of padlocks on the bridge. I've been seeing these padlocks on bridges all over Europe, but the sheer amount on this bridge was shocking. Locals and tourists leave these padlocks in honor of loved ones by writing a message on the lock and attaching it to the railing. Very sweet. I took a quick jaunt over the Ile St. Louis, which is a beautiful (and wealthy) island north of Notre-Dame. I did a little stroll through the Latin Quarter and then made a visit to the Gothic church, Sainte-Chapelle - more beautiful stained glass windows. I walked a bit along the Seine and then came to the oldest bridge in Paris - the Pont Neuf (the New Bridge). 

I decided to head over toward the Louvre. I did not tour the Louvre (or any museums) today. I'm planning 2 days of museum crawls on Sunday and Monday, but I did walk by the Louvre. I stopped for a bit of lunch (the very French dish, Quiche Lorraine was the choice today). After eating, I walked all the way up the Champs-Elysees to the Arc de Triumphe. Then, I walked over the Eiffel Tower for some fun photos of the structure (the line was way too long to go up, nor do I think it's worth 15 euros). 

It was time to head back to my hostel to check in and rest up. I don't have any plans tonight, but perhaps I can think of something to do. Or it might be an early night because tomorrow I'm spending the whole day at Versailles and that's going to be a long day.

Enjoy looking at my Day 30 photos of Paris on my GToE photo site.


5 comments:

Judy Griffin said...

Amazing! Paris, yes. But, more importantly the courageous and adventurous young traveler. I don't have courage to walk alone in my own town, nevermind a foreign country. You are truly an inspiration. Your story and travels should become an autobiography to inspire all those enduring your physical challenge. Love you girl!

Tom said...

Très bien! Magnifique! Passais un bon moment!

Marianne said...

Laisser manger du gateau! Et du pain! Delicieux!

Marianne said...

Angelina (Paris, France)
Angelina is one of the most famous tea rooms in Paris, having hosted fashion icons like Coco Chanel since first opening its doors in 1903. The café draws many tourists, and waiting for a table without reservation could take a while, because the African Hot Chocolate is famously good. The exact recipe is kept secret, but the special blend is made with chocolates sourced from Ghana, Nigeria, and the Ivory Coast. Order the signature Mont Blanc pastry on the side, and you’ll be in chocolate heaven.

Les Deux Magots (Paris, France)
If you prefer Paris’ bohemian literary scene to its history of high fashion, swap Angelina’s for Les Deux Magots in Saint-Germain-des-Prés. In this historic café, writers, artists, and intellectuals including Ernest Hemingway, Pablo Picasso, and Jean-Paul Sartre met with other creative and inquisitive minds. Order a pot of the famous hot chocolate and get inspired.

Marianne said...

Two places in Paris a friend posted to have aweslome hot chocolate. Thought you might be interested.