Saturday, November 22, 2014

The Louvre, the Orangerie, and the Orsay (Day 33 - GToE)

First, let me start with some of my pet peeves. I hate: (i) when you're in a museum, looking at a painting, and someone stands right in front of you without so much as a by your leave, (ii) people who hold hands/join arms in crowds, thereby not allowing anyone to get by them, (iii) people who take photographs in a museum when it is clearly marked that no photography is allowed, and (iv) gross public displays of affection - if I see one more couple sucking face, I may just punch a baby. Each and every one of these pet peeves happened multiple times today. I'm ready to shoot someone.

Now onto my day. As I mentioned yesterday, today was a museum day and man, am I exhausted. I was on the go from about 8:30 this morning until 7:00 pm tonight. I only sat down for maybe a total of 15 minutes for lunch and about 5 or 10 minutes in each museum. Touring three important museums in one day is a hefty and exhausting day. 

I started this morning at 9am at the Louvre. Fourteen years ago, I visited the Louvre, but I don't believe I spent as much time back then I as did today. I was there for 3.5 hours and saw so much. The nice thing about the Louvre is they allow photography. Why some other museums do not allow photography baffles me, but I at least adhere to the rules of the museum - unlike others. But I digress. Just a sampling of what I saw at the Louvre: many Roman, Greek, and Egyptian statues, including the armless Venus de Milo, Ramses II, and Winged Victory; all five of Leonard da Vinci's paintings, including the mysterious Mona Lisa, Vermeer's The Lacemaker, Napoleon III's apartments, and so much more. 

After trekking all over the Louvre, it was time for a quick lunch. I picked up a Quiche Lorraine and sat down in the Tuilieries Garden to people watch for a few minutes while eating and digesting lunch. It was then onto the Musée de l'Orangerie. When I last traveled to Paris, this museum was closed for refurbishment much to my disappointment. You see it has been on the top of my list of 'must sees' when in Paris, but now I can check it off my bucket list. In 1922, Claude Monet signed a contract donating eight paintings (his Water Lilies series) to the French government. It was decided that the perfect location would be the Orangerie. I wish that you could experience what I did today when I walked through the two rooms that house this magnificent series of artwork. It was mind blowing. Before you ask, yes, I wept. I will never understand when people say they don't like or don't get Monet's or the Impressionists' artwork. To me, it is the most moving and stunning artwork given to humankind. Photography is not allowed in the Orangerie, but I'm not certain that a photograph would capture the spectacular artwork. Also housed within the museum is the art dealer, Paul Guillaume's collection of 19th and 20th century modern paintings, which include artwork from Renoir, Matisse, Picasso, Cézanne and others. 

My last museum of the day was the Musée d'Orsay, one of my favorite museums. I loved this museum 14 years ago and it still enthralls me. Primarily, the Orsay houses some of the most magnificent Impressionist artwork on the face of the earth. You see Monet hanging next to Renoir, Manet sprinkled among Pissaro, a few Degas here and a few Cézannes there. It is truly delightful. Again, no photography is allowed in museum - not that it stopped some jerks taking photos. There is also a delightful section which houses some of the post-impressionists, with some spectacular Van Goghs. The artwork is so stupendous that I just might have to return here tomorrow for one more look see. I spent an amazing 2.5 hours roaming all over this museum.

After all that artwork, I needed to take a long walk in the beautiful Paris evening. The weather was such a joy today that I'm sort of sorry that I spent so much time indoors. I walked from the Orsay to the Eiffel Tower (about a 2 mile walk along the Seine). I wanted to photograph the Tower at night with all the lights on. I then hopped the metro to Notre Dame in order to photograph it at night. I managed to get there at the perfect time. It was just about 6pm and minutes after I arrived, the bells of Notre Dame were tolling. I was picturing Quasimodo ringing the bells. 

Then it was time to return to my hostel for a little dinner and a shower. I am exhausted. I'm not certain what I'll be doing tomorrow, but I'm sure it'll be fabulous because Paris is amazing! Check out all my photos from Day 33 at my GToE photo site.
Notre Dame at night - notice the Christmas tree?



2 comments:

Tom said...

Do they not have guards to stop the art paparazzi? I wound have bumped their arm so the pic would have been blurred.

Jacqueline said...

Catacombs is my suggestion