Monday, November 17, 2014

Confessions of a Solo Traveler

Greetings from Munich. I'll post another entry later today after I spend my first day touring Munich. But there's something I need to get off my chest:

The other day when I was on the Sound of Music tour, I got to chatting with Peter, the tour guide. He asked me if I were traveling on my own, to which I replied "yes". He's said "That's fantastic. You get to set your own schedule and go where you want when you want without worrying about others" and such other commentary. I concurred that those are the benefits of being a solo traveler and yet...

Okay, if we're going to be completely honest, there are pluses and minuses to traveling on your own. The pluses are pretty much set out above. I can keep my own schedule. If I decide to sleep in one day, I can (not that I have). If I change my mind on what I want to do today (which I do on occasion), I don't have to consult other people. These are all the fantastic benefits of solo travel.

What are the minuses? There are just as many. I carry the burden and costs all on my own. If something gets effed up, I'm screwed without anyone to help me deal with the fallout. But the worse part is that it is incredibly lonely. You see, most people travel with a companion or two or three or... well you get the idea. I watch them as I'm touring sites and am a bit envious. I've been in a mild funk a bit over the past few days (generally it hits me at night in my room) and it's not homesickness because I love this trip, but I just wish I had someone to share the experience with me. I know that there isn't anyone that I know who could have afforded (both financially and time-wise) to go with me, but it still makes for a lonely time on occasion.

Such is the eternal burden of my life. I miss my family and friends and still wish that I had a Mr. Darcy who could have accompanied me on this wonderful trip. Alas, 'twas not to be.

15 comments:

Lee said...

Hugs and love to you!

Heather P said...

Looking fabulous !! XXoO

Jennifer said...

I end up traveling alone a lot while doing field research -- I know exactly what you mean. It is both wonderful and not so wonderful. But focus on the amazing adventures. I've loved reading abut them!!! Hugs to one of my favorite people!!!

Martin said...

Good read next time your feeling blue....travel safe!

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4192898

Dolores said...

You look marvelous!!

Tom said...

Potter the Kitty misses you too. OK. I do too and would have traveled with you if I didn't need this job. But you wouldn't have had enough money to get me out of all the jails in all those countries.

Jennifer N said...

I'm loving your blog! What an amazing trip so far... Happy and safe future travels. Maybe Mr. Darcy lives in Munich or elsewhere (I know- hopeless romantic-can't help it).
http://elitedaily.com/.../the-10-reasons-why-its-better.../

Sandi said...

Thanks, everyone.

Barbara said...

Hi Sandi. Keep in mind you are sharing your trip with all of us, and we are all enjoying it.

Sandi said...

Yeah, I know, Barbara, but it's not quite the same. <3

paige said...

did you write this? similar sentiments...
http://elitedaily.com/life/culture/the-10-reasons-why-its-better-to-travel-alone/

Christy said...

xo

Heather A said...

Oh how I too long for a Mr. Darcy! Although we are not with you everyday I feel like I am with you. I find myself, even when really focused going I wonder what wonders Sandi is looking at! Wish I could do a trip like you are doing but for now all I can do is live through your posts. Thank you for that. Suggestion when ever you are lamenting being lonely think of the horror of being with the worst pain in the ass you can imagine. Perhaps that will help ! HUGS & we could always do a skype drink or dinner me is my pad you some where fab! Do they have meet up groups there check on line.

Marianne said...

I am with you in spirit. Travel on grasshopper!

Sandi said...

I will travel on, Sensei.