Friday, November 14, 2014

Salutations From Salzburg (Day 25 - GToE)

I have arrived safe and sound in Salzburg. I must say even thought I've only been here a few hours, I'm digging this picturesque city. Because it's right across the border from Bavaria, it has a very Bavarian feel, which I adore!

First let me give my thoughts on Vienna. Even though I spent way too much money, I really liked Vienna and if push came to shove, I could live there. With a population of 1.7 million, it's a little busier and bigger than I would like, but it is a nice, clean, safe city with a ton of stuff to do. Comparatively, at 150,000 residents, Salzburg is slower and smaller which is why I think I'm going to like Salzburg a little better than Vienna. 

Today, I completed the Rick Steves walking tour of Salzburg's Old Town. It started in Mozartplatz where the commemorative statue of the great man stands. It doesn't look much like him, but all the same, he's a hometown hero. By the way, did you know that Mozart was not Austrian? He would be a Salzburger. Salzburg was its own principality when Mozart was alive. But I digress. I toured the Old Residenz of the prince archbishop (sadly, the state apartments were closed) and the Cathedral. I meandered though St. Peter's Cemetery and checked out the catacombs. Unlike other cities, Salzburg's catacombs are located in the cliff of a mountain. Interestingly, at the catacomb entrance is a chapel carved into the hillside, which holds the tombs of Mozart's sister, Maria Anna, and Joseph Haydn's younger brother, Michael (also a composer of note). Maria Anna would probably have been as equally celebrated as her brother, had she been born in a different time. She was quite the accomplished musician.

Upon leaving the cemetery, I checked out St. Peter's Church and the area where the Salzburg Music Festival happens each year. Then, I meandered down Salzburg's main shopping street (Getreidegasse). I saw the establishment (Sporer) which serves homemade spirits. Sadly, there's a McDonald's on this block in addition to the rest of the annoying commercial stores. I eventually got to the place I was heading for: Mozart's Birthplace!

You're probably already tired of my Mozart affection, but I seriously love him and his music. Seeing the actual birthplace is a treat for the true Mozart lover. The museum covers three floors and begins on the top floor, where the family was living when he was born. I saw Mozart's first violin that he learned to play by the age of 6. The instrument was placed in the very room where Mozart was born. There is also a clavichord that Mozart played and wrote some of his most famous operas on (see photo). There is plenty of background information on Wolfgang and his entire family, plus some interesting tidbits about Mozart's world travels. He spent about one third of his life traveling. Sadly, photography is not allowed (although a borrowed a couple of photos from the website).

Upon leaving the museum, I walked around a little more and then decided to tour the Salzburg Museum. Mostly, I was underwhelmed with this museum. One floor of the museum was everything you ever wanted to know about Salzburg and First World War - something I don't have much interest in. The other floor traced the history of Salzburg, which is a little more interesting.

I decided to return to my hostel in order to check in and get settled. It's after 6:00pm and time to think about where to go for dinner and perhaps find something entertaining to do tonight. Although I should probably do laundry. Be sure to check out Day 25 photos on my GToE photo site.
The Hohensalzburg Fortress - checking this out tomorrow!

5 comments:

Tom said...

What language do Salzburgers or Austrians speak? And for the record, Mozart was no Beethoven.

Sandi said...

They speak German. No, Mozart was better. :-)

Tom said...

Didn't Beethoven speak German?

Sandi said...

Yes. Beethoven was German. Born in Bonn, Germany

M.S. Wells said...

Damn, that is a serious fortress!