Sunday, November 2, 2014

Hallo uit Amsterdam (Day 13 - GToE)

Well, I finally arrived in Amsterdam. My flight was delayed by about 45 minutes due to a faulty computer, but once that was replaced, it was an hour and 20 minute flight from Dublin to Amsterdam. Then getting to the city center was a bit of an adventure because the train from the airport to Amsterdam's central train station was diverted so I had to go a roundabout way to get here. Then once I got to the train station, I took a tram and then walked a bit to my hostel. Whew. So I left my Dublin hostel at 7am this morning and got to my Amsterdam hostel at 2:30 this afternoon. But did I let that stop me - no!

I headed out of my hostel for a quick jaunt around the area. I discovered that my hostel is right in the heart of the museums and is across from a lovely park (Vondelpark). There are about 3 major museums located a stones throw away - the Van Gogh, the Rijksmuseum, and the Stedelijk Museum. The Anne Frank Museum (which I'm scheduled to see tomorrow along with the Rijksmuseum is a little further away). But Amsterdam is a good walking city. Of course, it will be a miracle if I live to tell the tale. You see people in Amsterdam walk, bike, take trams and buses, and it's impossible to keep track of everyone. I almost got creamed by a bicyclist. You need to keep your wits about you in this city.

The Rijksmuseum
After doing a little walkabout and having a late lunch, I decided to take an evening canal cruise. This was a fun way to introduce myself to the city. Sadly, because of the moving boat and the darkness, I wasn't able to take photos, but if you ever find yourself in Amsterdam, I recommend the evening canal cruise.

Let me say this, I have only been here a little more than 7 hours and I'm already tired of smelling marijuana! Now I don't begrudge anybody who enjoys smoking, but ganja is definitely not a smell that I enjoy. And to answer your question, I have zero desire or intention of partaking. Been there, done that, over it.  

There are only a handful of photos today of random shots from my walkabout. Enjoy the Day 13 photos that are found on my GToE photo site.

(Ugh, the wifi in this hostel is slower than molasses going uphill in January!!!!)

1 comment:

Tom said...

Nice. You don't have to partake to get a contact high.