Monday, November 17, 2014

A Poorly Planned Day in Munich (Day 28 - GToE)

Hello again from Munich. Yeah, so I didn't really plan this day very well because I didn't get much done today. Oh well. There's always tomorrow and Wednesday, which both promise to be crappy weather days (rainy and cold). Ugh!

This morning, I decided to do a hop-on/hop-off bus tour of Munich, mostly because I wanted to get to Nymphenburg Palace, which was the summer residence of the former rulers of Bavaria (the House of Wittelsbach) and is located on the outskirts of town. I got on the bus at 10am and didn't get to the palace until 11:15. I learned a lot about Munich on that hour plus ride around Munich but it put me a little behind schedule. 

The palace is a Baroque style palace, which was built over the course of about 100 years, being expanded from a small central pavilion to a grand palace. While the palace is huge, there is only a small portion open to the public, as the Wittelsbachs still utilize a portion of the palace for their home. I've had a bit of a fascination with the House of Wittelsbach ever since I did a staged reading of a musical based around "Mad" King Ludwig, who was of the Wittelsbach House. Today, I saw the room in which he was born. Quite stunning. The rest of the royal residence isn't too shabby either.

After touring the palace, I hopped back on the bus and decided to get off at the painting galleries. While most of the art museums are closed on Mondays in Munich, there was one that was open - the Neue Pinakothek, which shows paintings from 1800 to 1920 - my favorite years for artwork. Yes, more Monet and Van Gogh. I got to see my third Van Gogh Sunflower painting of the trip. I believe I have seen all of them now, except the one that is in a private collection. 

After the museum, it was getting on toward 3:30 and it was too late to really do anything else. It's already getting dark and cold. I decided to return to my hostel. Before heading back though, I stopped by the Tourist Information center just to see if I could get tickets to see something tonight and managed to snag a ticket to see Mozart's Requiem. (I actually tried to get tickets to see Ed Sheeran tonight, but it was sold out.) So I'll be high brow tonight, instead of low brow. 

Time to think about where to have some dinner before heading to the concert. Check out my photos from Day 28 on my GToE photo site.
Where Ludwig II was born - very, very nice!


6 comments:

Tom said...

Have some bratwurst.

Sandi said...

Planning on it.

Christy said...

And plenty of German beer! xo

Sherry said...

Dont forget the Gluehwein! !!

Kimberly said...

thinking of you..thankful to be sharing your journey through your blog. I have many thoughts, but have not figured out how to comment on individual posts...thoughts to share upon your return!

Sandi said...

Not such a fan of Gluehwein, but I'm hitting up the German beer. Spent a good amoutn of time at Haufbrauhaus this afternoon. Can't wait to hear you thoughts, Kimberly.