Monday, November 3, 2014

Anne Frank Huis, Rijksmuseum, and The Red-Light District (Day 14 - GToE)

My second day in Amsterdam has been a gray and rainy day. Blech. It wreaking havoc on my emotions. I'm actually feeling a little homesick and weepy today. No, homesick isn't the right word. I guess I'm feeling lonely. While I love traveling and find myself to be great company, it does get lonely to not have someone with which to share the experience. Eh. It'll pass. I can't believe that it's been 2 weeks already - 6 more to go.

After a restless night's sleep, I woke up knowing that I was going to see one of the sites that I have long wanted to see...no, not the red-light district! Anne Frank's House. Reading Anne Frank's diary when I was a teenager was life altering. The diary is still a book that I turn to on a fairly regular basis. There's something mesmerizing about her words. Therefore, it was with great anticipation that I visited the Anne Frank Huis today. Now I had the forethought to go online and make an appointment for a 10am entrance time. When I arrived, there was a line wrapped around the building and I just shook my head. Do your research ahead of time people!

When I read Anne's book, I often have a hard time picturing exactly the layout of the building. That will not longer be an issue. Interestingly, each of the rooms is completely empty of furniture, as per the wishes of Anne's father, Otto Frank who wanted the empty rooms to be a reminder of millions of people who were deported and never returned. Each room though has a photo of what the rooms would have looked like during the time that the 8 inhabitants were hiding in the Secret Annexe, plus some of the more memorable quotes from Anne's diary and a few of their possessions in glass cases. The original bookcase which closed off the Annexe is also on display. All in all, it was a moving and powerful museum to visit.

After visiting the museum, I meandered around town taking random photos and eventually ended up at the Flower Market. Stalls upon stalls upon stalls of tulip bulbs. Who knew there were so many varieties of tulips? I assume in spring the stalls are filled with flowers, but alas it is the wrong time of year for tulips.

I eventually made my way to the world famous Rijksmuseum, the Netherlands national museum. The museum is dedicated to the arts and history of the Netherlands, which makes it an interesting museum as it mostly houses Dutch painters and focuses less so on other famous painters (although I did manage to hunt up a Monet or two). The museum has a collection of over 1 million items with approximately 8,000 currently on display. I saw Rembrandt's masterpiece Night Watch which had quite a crowd around it.

I stopped by my hostel to take a brief rest. I get very tired very quickly these days - thank you, cancer. I then decided to head out a see the infamous red-light district. I hopped a tram to the Dam stop and walked over approximately 5 blocks to the district. Okay, it's weird. Within this district, you have nice pubs, next to restaurants, next to head shops, next to "coffee" shops, next to sex shops, next to prostitutes. Very, very unusual. The other bizarre thing is that this area doesn't feel seedy or creepy... or at least it doesn't at 4:00 in the afternoon. Maybe at midnight that's a different story, but overall I wasn't weirded out by strolling through the area.

As for the sex workers, you have an abundance of choice: white, black, Asian, pretty, not so pretty, young, older, thin, heavy, humongous! There was one worker who was twice my size and that's saying something as I'm no pixie.  If you've never been to Amsterdam, the way you can tell where the prostitutes are located is by the red fluorescent lights that are atop the windows (see photo). The sex workers stand in full length windows, very scantily clad in lingerie. I assume, men just walk along, find the one that appeals to them most, and a deal is made. Very professional.

After the red-light district, I return to my hostel and I'm in for the night. The rain is making it a bear to be out and about. Early night.

You can see my Day 14 photos on my GToE photo site.
This made me laugh out loud!

2 comments:

Tom said...

I wish I could be there with you to share Amsterdam, especially the Red Light District.

Agatha said...

I loved Amsterdam. Stroop waffles and coffee so good.