Saturday, November 29, 2014

Buona Sera da Milano (Day 40 - GToE)

Good evening from Milan!

Woo hoo! I'm in Italy. Yes, I love Italy and am proud of my Italian heritage. Of course, I don't speak the language very well, but what can you do? As I mentioned yesterday, today was mostly a wasted travel day, thanks to Iberia Airlines. Originally I should have been in Milan and wandering the city by 10am, instead it was 6pm before I could walk around the city.

Eight years ago, I spent 11 days traveling around Italy, starting in Milan. My memory of Milan is not very good. I mostly kept thinking that it was just one large open-aired shopping mall. You see, I'm not a fashionista. In fact, I couldn't give a rat's arse about fashion. I like my clothing to be comfortable and affordable. The most expensive thing in my wardrobe is a leather Coach purse which retailed for $400, but I got at the outlet store for $70 and even that I found a little pricey. You might ask, "Well, Sandi, why did you return to Milan if you didn't like it 8 years ago?" I'll tell you - three reasons: (i) I'm willing to give it a second try, (ii) I want to see the Sforza Castle which I somehow missed 8 years ago, and (iii) Leonardo DaVinci's, L'Ultima Cena (The Last Supper). I saw this mural 8 years ago and I was blown away by it and really wanted to see it again. 

A bit of a bonus: I discovered on the train from the airport that there is a Van Gogh exhibit here of which I was completely unaware. Hopefully, I can get into to see it tomorrow in addition to the castle and The Last Supper. Then it's onto Venice. Yes, it's a very short (now) 1 day visit to Milan.

As for today, I couldn't do much in the way of sightseeing because I arrived so late. I did take a walk over to the main square which houses Milan's Duomo (Cathedral) and snapped exactly 2 photos before finding a place for dinner. What was for dinner? Pizza, of course. Best pizza in the world is in Italy. I went with the anchovy and mozzarella pizza. Yummy! So sad, I couldn't finish it all.

Air travel exhaust me, so I'm going to call it an early night. (It's just after 9:00pm.) There are only 2 photos for today (seen here), which I'm not going to bother to put on my GToE photo site.

3 comments:

Tom said...

I'm having pasta tonight. So it's like I'm sharing Italy with you. It's exactly like that...especially after I get totally"faced"on vino. Everything is relative and believable.

Marianne said...

I don't speak the language either but, I do know all the good curse words thanks to the Darezzi sisters. ;-)

Tom said...

Those Darezzis sure do have potty mouths. And I mean that in a good way.