Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Surviving Cancer - A Memoir

In my post dated January 7, 2013, I mentioned that my students challenged me to write my memoir because I was making them write theirs.  I sucked it up and, per their suggestion, wrote about the 8 months that I spent going though breast cancer treatment.  I had planned on giving copies of the story to my students today, but forgot to make the copies.  So instead one of my students asked if she could read it aloud.  I thought "that's a pretty good idea."  She did a credible job especially as it's filled with unfamiliar (to her) medical terms.  Of course, the rest of my Huck Finn lesson plan went right out the window because they asked a boatload of follow-up questions.  Oh well, that's okay.  Tomorrow's another day to talk about Huck and Jim and their trip down the Mississippi River.

I can't imagine that anyone would remotely care to read this romp down mammary lane (pun intended), but if you would like to read my memoir, you can access it here:  Surviving Cancer - A Memoir.

Here's a little preview:
"You have cancer."  The three most dreaded words in the English language and my gynecologist just spoke them to me over the phone.  The date was Thursday, September 6, 2007..."
<shrugs>  Despite what my students said, I don't think it's very good, but I would be interested in getting some constructive feedback if anyone has any.  It would be just for me to improve my writing and not because I plan on ever publishing this tale. Happy reading.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I'm am so shocked to hear this all and so glad that you are well now. We really need to talk. Love you.

Sandi said...

Love you right back, Babs!