Wednesday, January 23, 2013

iPhone or Android? Which Smartphone is Best?

I have a decision to make fairly soon - I need a new phone.  My dilemma - should I buy an iPhone or an Android-based smartphone?

My current phone is pretty much on its last legs and annoys the heck out of me. But I cannot decide which smartphone I should purchase next.  (I cannot and will not go back to just a regular old cell phone.) All the research I've done has solidified for me that the two operating systems (iOS and Android) measure up equally. I currently have an Android, but I'm considering purchasing the iPhone next.

I would love to get some input from others on their experiences, but ONLY if you have experience with BOTH phones!  People who have iPhones or Androids are often fiercely biased toward their phone of choice without actually having knowledge about the other.  How someone can make intelligent statements on any device without prior familiarity, I will never know.  Therefore, if any of my readers have experience using both phones, please weigh in on which you prefer and why.  

The only problem I have with purchasing an iPhone is the limited customization. Ultimately, my decision may just boil down to price for me. Whichever I can get cheaper through my cell phone company might end up being the winning phone. But I still would be interested in getting some advice from others.

12 comments:

Marianne said...

I had a Blackberry and loved it. I decided that it wasn't smart enough so I got a Droid. I had the Droid for one hour. Hated it. Love my IPhone. Highly recommended!

Sandi said...

I used to love my Blackberry but the Android is a thousand times better.

Erin said...

As much as I detest promoting any apple product. The damn iphone sold me. I have had it for a little over 3 years. If you knew my track recond with phones you would know that is IMPRESSIVE! I am a serial phone killer! It has stood the test of Erin. Stupid apple.

Karen said...

I had an android (HTC EVO) & I enjoyed it at the beginning. Then the battery would not keep a charge and I didn't find it as user friendly as I expected. When our contract was up, we went to the iPhone & I love it. I won't get another phone. It is user friendly and it is just a good product. We have 5 smartphones on our house & 3 of them are the iPhone 4S & I think we will have to breakdown in June & add one more iPhone to our plan. It is so easy to use that my mom & aunt both upgraded their phones to the iPhone 4S because of how easy they are to use. This is my 3rd smartphone & I am hooked.

Jane said...

It's a no brainier for me...iPhone

Sandi said...

Thanks, my peeps for the advice. I'm leaning toward the iPhone mostly because it'll integrate well with the iPad I now have. :-) Karen, funny enough I have the HTC EVO right now.

Donna said...

iPhone hands down.

Frank said...

If you're trapped in... uh, I mean, "invested" in Apple stuff, then iPhone make sense. If you're not, Android is the way to go, particularly if you are already a gmail/google user.

Nana said...

Thx for this, Sandi - I'm going thru same debate myself!

Frank said...

Buddy of mine just posted this.. thought you might find it helpful.
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-01-16/why-i-might-ditch-my-iphone-for-an-android#r=rss?campaign_id=disqus.bw.test

Sandi said...

The funny thing, Frank, is that I'm half Apple and half Google/Gmail. Sooooooo????

Frank said...

Sounds like you have a problem with commitment. ;-)