Friday, January 25, 2013

Animated Movies Are the Bomb!

I shelved my movie recommendations for a couple of days due to other more interesting (to me) posts.  But I'm back - with my animated movie recommendations.

As difficult as it was to come up with 5 comedy movies, I think that deciding my top 5 animated movies is even more difficult.  Seriously!  How do you choose a Disney movie over a Pixar or pit one Disney movie against another or one Pixar against another Pixar? How about all the other animated production companies. <sigh> This was one of the most difficult lists to create, but here are my top animated movies:
  1. Beauty and the Beast (1991): One of my all-time favorite fairy tales when I was a child was the story of Beauty and the Beast, and when Disney released this movie in 1991, this film was on my must see list and it did not disappoint.  A beautiful story with amazing music from the musical geniuses of Alan Menken and Howard Ashman.  This movie will always be on the top of my list of favorites.  Belle: [singing] "I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. / I want it more than I can tell. / And for once it might be grand / To have someone understand / I want so much more than they've got planned..."
  2. The Lion King (1994): Music by Tim Rice and Elton John, voiced by Matthew Broderick, Jeremy Irons, James Earl Jones, and one of my all-time favorite theatre actors, Nathan Lane, plus a fantastic story - all makes for a winning movie.  Funny, touching, beautifully drawn, The Lion King is an entertaining movie.  Timon: "What do you want me to do, dress in drag and do the hula?"
  3. Up (2009):  Okay, seriously?  What's better than talking ADD dogs?? This movie is equally touching and funny. It actually starts off with a truly sad love story, but ends with an amazing friendship that spans the age gap.  Just lovely.  Dug: "Squirrel."
  4. Toy Story (1995), Toy Story 2 (1999) and Toy Story 3 (2010): Okay, I know that these are technically three movies, but how do you pick just 1 Toy Story movie?  Impossible!  I love the continuing adventures of Woody, Buzz, Hamm, Mr. Potato Head, Rex, and the rest of Andy's toys.  It's rare for a movie franchise to remain as consistently wonderful but Toy Story has remained top of its game.  I can't wait for Toy Story 4Rex: "What if Andy gets another dinosaur? A mean one? I just don't think I can take that kind of rejection!"
  5. Finding Nemo (2003):  As with most of the Pixar movies, Finding Nemo is beautifully drawn, has an engaging, funny and touching story, features some amazing voices, and withstands the test of time. I am eagerly awaiting Finding Nemo 2 ... in 2016!!  ARGH!!!  Bruce: [reciting] "I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself. Fish are friends, not food."
This list is really Disney/Pixar heavy but the movies that are created by these studios are far more superior than any other studio, in my humble opinion. The best thing about these movie recommendations is how much they appeal equally to adults and children, which is the genius that is Disney/Pixar. As always, I have a list of honorable mentions:  Monsters, Inc., Ratatouille, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Little Mermaid, Cinderella, and Chicken Run. All excellent animated films! Actually, my list is much, much longer, but I had to cut it off at some point!


3 comments:

Erin said...

My sister's ultimate fav is beauty and the beast. she collects anything and everything! Toy Story 3 made me cry. ahhh nostalgia!

paige said...

no SHREK??!!!!

Sandi said...

Sorry, Paige! Love Shrek, but it would go on my honorable mentions list. Not in my top 5. :-)