Monday, September 3, 2012

Why, Jane Austen? Why?

[Updated: 9/5/2012] It's time for me to yell at Jane Austen, and Charlotte Bronte, and E.M. Forster, and Alexander Dumas, and Victor Hugo, and Charles Dickens, and Dean Koontz, and Charlaine Harris, and...  Well, the list goes on and on.  But mostly I'm annoyed with Jane Austen. Why am I annoyed with my favorite authors? Because they all wrote these amazing and nearly perfect leading men and thereby ruining any chance of literature lovers finding a decent mate. I mean who doesn't want a Mr. Darcy or a Mr. Rochester in their lives?  :-)  Here's a fun, albeit short, list of the most desirable leading men in literature. Only 7, Mental Floss. Really? Anyway, I completely concur with this list and have about another dozen or hundred characters to add to it!

Actually, the reason I bring this up is that I've been having some fairly spirited discussions recently with one of my dear friends over my dating... or rather, my lack of dating... situation. See, she's recently started a new relationship and people who are in new relationships think that everyone should be as happy as they are. But it's kind of annoying for those of us who have made the conscious decision to never get involved with anyone ever again... EVER! I love that she's so happy and am unbelievably thrilled for her - especially since he's a really nice guy and I truly loathed her ex-boyfriend who was a jerk. She definitely deserves to have someone great in her life.  But I just wish that she and everyone else would stop bugging me about my singlehood. I'm fine with it...well, fine is probably too strong... I'm okay with it. Not everyone in this world is supposed to have a grand romance, or love, or a great relationship and it's abundantly clear that I fall into that category.

Besides, I'm...
Also movies and tv shows!


And real life just can't compare. So I'll just have to live vicariously through Jane Austen, and Charlotte Bronte, and E.M. Forster, and Alexander Dumas, and Victor Hugo, and Charles Dickens, and Dean Koontz, and Charlaine Harris, and... Well, you get the idea! Boys in books are amazing! And I don't have to worry about someone leaving the lid up.  :-)

4 comments:

Paige said...

"Jane says.....have you seen my wig around....?" Perry and the Farrels!! hahahaaa

Sandi said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Okay, okay. I'll stop. I just want you to be as happy as I am.

Sandi said...

I know you do, but dating does not always equal happiness - as you well know. Besides I have enough on my plate right now between being a new teacher and grad school.