Sunday, September 9, 2012

Honeycrisp Apples - Where Have You Been All My Life?!

Today, I was wandering through the Newburyport Farmers' Market (as I do every Sunday) - checking out the local produce - and came across one of my favorite stalls, Applecrest Farm out of Hampton Falls, NH. I love this stall because they sell some of the most amazing fruits (raspberries, peaches, blueberries, apples, etc.). Plus their apple cider donuts are unbelievably delicious!  I know I shouldn't buy the donuts but...  

Anyway, as I was shopping in their stall and deciding on which type of apples to purchase, I saw that they had Honeycrisps for sale. I mentioned to one of the employees that I had never tried Honeycrisps.  In fact, I had never even heard of Honeycrisps before a couple of years ago.  He looked completely taken aback by my ignorance of these little beauties and proceeded to grab a knife from the truck and slice up an apple for me to taste.  Let me just say, my taste buds went wild!  I've always been a bit of an apple fanatic - even though I'm mildly allergic to apples.  Up until today, my favorites were the Royal Galas.  But no more!  These apples have the most amazing flavor and the perfect crispness of the skin as you bite into them is exactly how an apple should feel.  It was just heavenly.  I had to buy some!

Interesting tidbit about the Honeycrisp apple: "The Honeycrisp apple was produced from a 1960 cross of Macoun and Honeygold, as part of the University of Minnesota apple breeding program." If you have never tried these little gems, next time you're in your local grocery store, pick up a few.  They are a little more expensive, but I think they are well worth the extra money.  I only bought four apples today and I'm kicking myself that I didn't get more.  I will not make that same mistake next week!

2 comments:

Jane said...

I love honeycrisps.

Franka said...

I love them...coworker introduced me a couple of years ago