Thursday, September 13, 2012

Career Change: Students Say the Darndest Things!

My students are really, really funny kids! Generally speaking, I spend most of my days in my classroom, laughing my head off!  So I decided to start logging some of my munchkins' best lines!  I'm hoping that the hilarity of their comments will translate to this rather sterile forum. Here are a few of their best comments I heard just this week:

1.  While doing an exercise on 'fate, free will, chaos and the supernatural,' I asked if they agreed with the following statement: "I was born because God wanted me to be born."  One student drolly remarked: "I don't know if God really wanted me to be born."

2.  When one male student decided to repeatedly try to give a female student a pat on the back, female student asked for him to stop touching her. The male student responded that he was "just trying to give her some love."  To which the female student laughingly responded: "I have enough love at home I don't need it from you."  What makes this really funny is that the female student is pregnant.  So yeah, she definitely has enough love to last her awhile.

3.  While going through a vocabulary exercise, I had asked if anyone in the room was "obstinate" and one students threw another under the bus, saying that Juan was.  Funny, yes.  Hilarious was when I asked who in the room was "indolent" and Maria threw herself under the bus and raised her hand high!  She was actually really proud of being "indolent"!!  So now anytime I use the word "indolent", everyone points to Maria.  Well at least they understand the meaning! [Names have been changed.]

4. When I was handing out candy to my juniors (as a reward), one student asked why I didn't eat a piece and I said much as I love candy, my butt doesn't like me eating it.  She said that I should "hang out in the Spanish neighborhoods because Spanish men love big butts."  I'm choosing to believe that she meant that as a compliment.  :-D

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I do adore my students!  Don't forget to check out My First Year of Teaching photo site.  I've added a few new photos.

2 comments:

Erin said...

heh...gotta love lawrence...

Sandi said...

LOL!! I know! They're characters that's for sure. Apparently "Mary Jane" is very popular with my students!