Friday, September 28, 2012

"Live Long and Prosper"

Yes, I quoted Mr. Spock. No, I'm not a Trekkie. I have seen the occasional episode and most of the movies, but would not say that I was a true fan of the Star Trek franchise. But what I want to share is a video that someone turned me onto. 

In May 2012, Leonard Nimoy, a Boston native, received an honorary degree (Doctor of Humane Letters) from Boston University and was invited to deliver the convocation address at the College of Fine Arts, which he eagerly agreed to give. As with most things these days, the entire address was posted on YouTube and it is brilliant!  Mr. Nimoy, at a spritely 81 years of age, was witty, eloquent, and sincere. The entire speech is just under 20 minutes and it is well worth the time to watch. Yes, he adorably flashes the Vulcan salute and does tell the students to "live long and prosper", but he says so much more than that. One of his more meaningful pieces of advice to the graduates is: "You are the creators and curators of your own lives. You create your own life and your work.  Give us your best.  Give us the best of your art.  We crave it - we hunger for it."  But he also advises the graduates "Please, please, for the sake of our culture - for the sake of mankind - don't create any more reality tv shows."  Hear, hear!  

Watch the entire speech when you have time.  I intend to show this video to my students and I hope they will be as inspired as I was. Mr. Spock, I salute you!  You are, indeed, a gentleman and a scholar!



No comments: