Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Career Change: More Students Say the Darndest Things!

Awhile back I wrote an entry about some of the funny things my students say.  I thought I'd write a follow up piece because teenagers who have no filter do say some really funny stuff! 

1.  I am one of the faculty advisers for the Senior-Freshman Peer Mentoring Group and the two Seniors who head up this group were in my classroom putting together a "free breakfast" banner.  The one student wanted to add that students could sign up for it in my classroom.  She was trying to ask me if I go by Mrs. or Miss, but didn't quite word it that way.  What she asked was "Miss, are you or have you recently been married?" (which made me chuckle). So I responded "no, I've never been married." With genuine shock and surprise, she responded "Miss! Why not?!?!"  To which I responded that I had never been lucky or perhaps unlucky enough to be asked. Her response: "Men are stupid."  Of course, this student happens to be gay so she probably feels that way no matter what!

2.  Now this next tidbit was told to me from a colleague about one of her students, but it made me laugh so hard, I needed to share it.  This student was writing an argumentative essay on "why teachers should have to wear uniforms like the students do".  Her three supporting reasons were: (i) teachers get to sit in comfortable chairs, (ii) teachers get to eat all day long, and (iii) they get paid a lot of money. HAHAHAHAHA!!  If only any of that was true!

3.  Today, my seniors were writing an in-class essay on Shakespeare's Othello and the following tidbit was written by one of my seniors:  "Othello was wrong in his marriage to Desdemona because he treated her like sh*t."  Okay, not at all academic language, but pretty funny and actually quite accurate. I did have this student change the language and explained how that was unacceptable although I appreciated his honesty. 

That's all I have these days.  The kids are a bit cranky because they just want to go on winter break so they're not nearly as funny.  Actually, they're pretty whiny right now.  I'm getting a lot of "that's not fair" and "I don't want to do this work."  Blah, blah, blah.  Whatever! Suck it up!

No comments: