Friday, December 14, 2012

Career Change: The First Year 15!

Anyone who has gone away to college will understand the old expression - The Freshman 15. For those who don't understand this concept, this statement refers to the weight gain (a rather arbitrary 15 pounds) that a college Freshman will gain in their first year of college.  I'm starting to think that there is a first year teacher equivalent!  Dismayingly, I just hit the 9 pound mark. What's causing this? Simply, too much stress leading to poor food choices/overeating and lack of energy, time and/or interest in exercise! It's getting so I can't fit into my clothes comfortably and need to start making some drastic changes to my eating/exercise habits again. 

Oddly enough, I was actually warned about this phenomenon over the summer while at TFA's summer institute. One of our TFA advisers mentioned that one day she was so stressed that she stopped by a grocery store, picked up a rotisserie chicken and ate the entire chicken in her car in the parking lot!  Okay, I haven't gotten that stressed... yet! Although yesterday was such a bad day that I came home and ate 2 slices of pizza and a snack-sized package of Oreos, so yeah, a few more weeks and I'll be at the "rotisserie chicken" stage. So I can completely understand why she did that! I figure if I keep up this pace, I'll gain a redonkulous amount of weight by June and I just cannot afford to do that either physically or financially. New clothing costs WAY too much money. Just a little warning for anyone who decides to career change to teaching - be careful of the First Year 15... 20... 25... 
This is where
I'm heading!

No comments: