Monday, December 10, 2012

"Not Until we are 'Lost'..."

"...do we begin to understand ourselves."  -- Henry David Thoreau

I have a really bad habit. I tend to watch really great shows either way after the show has concluded or well into the run of the show. For instance, I didn't start watching Rescue Me until right before the start of Season 6. The Sopranos was well into its 4th season before I started watching. I've just started watching The Big Bang Theory which is in its 6th season, and fortunately can catch up on past seasons with the copious amounts of reruns on nightly. The West Wing was long over (something like 5 years) before I even thought to watch the program. How I could have missed the sheer genius of The West Wing for so many years I will never know.

Currently, I've been catching up on the Emmy award winning, sci-fi/supernatural show Lost. Nope, I never saw even one episode while this show was in its original run from 2004-2010. I'm not entirely sure why I never seem to watch these shows when they're in the original incarnation.  Maybe it's the hype that surrounds these shows. I tend to think that the show will never hold up to stellar reviews that they get, but then when I finally get around to watching them, I'm blown away. Lost  falls into exactly that category. Now, I've heard from a couple of sources that this show 'jumped the shark' part way through the series and 'lost' a lot of viewers (bad pun intended). I'm just now wrapping up watching Season 1, and am loving this show. The cast is just amazing and the writing superb. I suppose, it's better late than never! It's interesting how much Thoreau's quote (above) has much to do with the show. Each character understands themselves a little more every moment they're stuck on the island - what they're capable of and what they're not. I guess that's true of all of us when put to the test. I keeping thinking: "what would I bring to the table if I were 'lost' on a deserted island.  Would I be more like Jack and Kate - capable and a leader or more like the Bristish one-hit wonder rock musician (minus the heroin addiction) who's pretty useless?"

I can't wait to see what Season 2 brings!  No spoilers, please!  I know almost nothing about this show.  I wonder how many other fantastic shows I've missed out on. I never watched ER. Maybe I should try that one next.
I just love Jack and Kate!

2 comments:

Almost 50 by Alvin Blackshear said...

Two of my top 10 TV episodes are from Lost. I consider "The Constant" one of the best written, best acted, best produced episodes for television (Lost: Season 4, Episode 5). I cried at the ending. Also on my top 10 is "Flashes Before Your Eyes" (Lost: Season 3, Episode 8). The complete knowledgebase of Lost can be found at www.lostpedia.com - but it contains dozens of spoliers.

Sandi said...

Ooooh, I'll have to check out the KB of Lost... after I watch it. :-)