Monday, December 3, 2012

A Two Voice Poem

Today I was teaching my Freshman honors class about two voice poems, which are poems that are written for two people to perform. The poetry usually has two columns - one for each person who is reading the poem. Each person reading the poem reads the text in one of the columns. These poems often sound like a dialogue for two people.  My Freshmen had a lot of fun with this exercise.

One specific poem just blew me away so I thought I'd share it with you - after getting my student's permission to share it.  A little background on the student who wrote it: she's 14, a very talented writer/poet and a week ago she started dating another student in the class. They broke up after dating for ONE DAY and she is "devastated" over the break.  LOL! Ahhhhh to be 14 again... No thanks!  Many of her recent creative works are over this breakup and the one posted below is no exception.  But I really think it's a fantastic poem and should be shared:

      Voice 1                                                           Voice 2
     Things get old
                                                                           and things get new
     All my memories
                                                                            I owe then to you
     You've made me laugh
                                                                           You've made me cry
     Feelings aren't always easy to hide
                                                                           Being friends isn't a choice
     Let's just start over
                                                                           And rejoice.

What do you think??  Not bad for a 14 year old girl.  Guess her heartbreak is healing.  :-D  I wish I had her creativity. 

No comments: