Friday, December 21, 2012

Career Change: The One I Want to Take Care Of...

The other day I was having a conversation with a guidance counselor at my school who asked me if I had found the one student that I wanted to bundle up, take home and care for.  And much as I adore so many of my students, I hadn't come across that one students. That all changed yesterday. One of my favorite, best and brightest students came to me because she was freaking out that should couldn't complete an assignment. The assignment was a straight-forward one: create a poster about themselves (favorite tv show, movies, books, etc.). This student told me a heartbreaking story of what was going on in her life and I just wanted to bundle this bright, lovely, amazing girl and take her home so that she could get out of her extremely messed up life. But alas I can't do that, so I did the best I could.  I listened to her, let her cry on my shoulder, and gave her solutions on what we could do to get the project completed.  As a result, today she presented her project, got a perfect grade, currently has a A+ in my class, and left for the two week holiday with a lighter heart and a bright smile.

Below is the holiday card that this student gave me yesterday! I wept when I read this card! I have to remember moments like these when I have those days when I wonder if it was all worth it. Trust me, it's worth it! I love my new career!
Click on the photo to read it

On another note, today was probably one of the best days so far and not just because it was the last day before a two vacation.  I got two stunning compliments from the principal.  The first had to do with a student who was pulled out of my class by the assistant principal for refusing to remove his hoodie (wearing hoodies is against the school rules).  The AP took the student down to in-house detention, but the student promptly returned 5 minutes later sans hoodie.  Later, my principal told me that this student quickly gave up his hoodie and begged to go back to my class.  So what makes this story a fantastic one? Most students prefer to hang out in in-house detention because they can chat with other students and not do any work.  The principal said that it says something about me as a teacher.  BTW, this is a student who is currently failing my class, does no work, and almost never participates.  Then later in the day, the principal stopped by my final class of the day to observe (who does that on the day before the winter break?), but I lucked out - my students were actually doing something academic (sort of) - performing an in-class production of A Christmas Carol.  The principal later told me that I made her day and wanted to know how I got my students to do it.  In all fairness, it was a student who came up with the idea and I just ran with it. Funnily enough, every time the principal stopped to talk to me today, I thought for sure I had done something wrong, but joyfully, twas not so.  A truly fantastic day! Of course, much as I love my job, I am grateful for the two week vacation which starts today. Even though I'll be lesson planning for a good portion of my vacation, it'll be good to recharge my batteries.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Makes me smile. What a great way to end the term.

Sandi said...

It really was a fantastic day!