Monday, December 17, 2012

I Don't Miss New York City, But...

...this morning as I was scraping ice off my windshield and slipping and sliding my way to school, I realized that I was missing the New York City Subway system just a little bit. "What?  Miss the subway?  Say it ain't so!"  Oh, yes, it is so!

Yeah, the NYC subway is dirty, disgusting, crowded, almost always smells like urine, and is rat infested, but, on bad weather days like today, I miss being able to walk to the nearest subway station and take a train. Plus when I last lived there, I had the added benefit of having a rather long commute of 50-60 minutes between home and work, so I had plenty of time to read, do work, etc.! I miss those productive commutes.

I do love driving, but over the past year and half, I've discovered something about Massachusetts drivers... they suck! There's a reason why they're called "Massholes!" I would gladly go back to using mass transit if I had the opportunity. Between the cost of being a car owner and the aggravation of dealing with Massholes, mass transit seems like a sane and rational option... rats the size of ponies notwithstanding!

Alas, there is no mass transit between Newburyport and Lawrence so I'll just have to suck it up and deal with the horrible drive during the inclement weather.  It's actually a pretty decent commute when the weather is fair, but in foul weather, it's horrendous!

2 comments:

Erin said...

I hear you lady! I sort of miss the south for the snowless winters. Out scraping the wind shield and warming the car up at 4:30 stinks just a lot. :-( But the white knuckle drive does tend to wake one up.

Sandi said...

Boy, that is the truth. I was hypervigilant this morning on my way to work!