Thursday, December 27, 2012

Shut Up, "Bridget Jones"!

Having extra time on my hands, during this much needed vacation, has allowed me to indulge in my favorite pastime: reading for pleasure!  So far I've managed to read 6 books for fun! Yay!  Today, I was yet again trying to slog through Bridget Jones's Diary (1996) to no avail. I have attempted to read this novel a few times (before and after the movie's release), but I always wind up throwing it across the room in disgust!  Let me just say that I adore the movie and not just because it stars one of my imaginary boyfriends (Colin Firth). I think the movie is witty and charming, but the book is the complete opposite.  So why do I keep trying to read the book?  Because I'm a glutton for punishment.  No, that's not it.  I'm trying to figure out why so many people like the book. It boggles the mind!

Synopsis: "Written in the form of a personal diary, the novel chronicles a year in the life of Bridget Jones, a thirty-something single working woman living in London. She writes about her career, self-image, vices, family, friends, and romantic relationships."

Review:  As a not-so-veiled homage to Pride and Prejudice, I will state that there are some mildly amusing passages in this novel and I particularly enjoyed learning a new British colloquialism ("f***wittage") that Jane Austen fails to use in her writing. Otherwise, this is a poorly written book when you look beyond the 'cleverness' of the diary theme. It has a major flaw: the most unattractive female 'heroine' in history - and not just because she thinks she's overweight, drinks and smokes too much. She is BORING!!! Sure, you can laugh throughout the story, but then you could laugh at someone falling down an escalator, or someone with a mental or physical disability. The characters are shallow and the 'story' is patchy. How anyone could find this woman attractive - mentally, physically or philosophically is a mystery to me. She is bland, self-indulgent, inconsiderate and - quite simply - unbelievably boring. We've all done things in our lives that make us cringe with embarrassment, but somewhere (hopefully) we've excelled at something, and given something to someone else. Bridget does nothing! 

This is a rarity for me to make the following suggestion: forget the book and watch the movie instead.  Bridget has far more redeeming qualities in the movie, plus there is the added bonus of eye candy - Colin Firth.  <sigh>

Review: 1 out of 5 stars 
Only Colin Firth can look adorable
in a ridiculous Christmas jumper!

2 comments:

Paige said...

I recall reading an excerpt in Vogue mag before it was released in the US and wondering "why?"

Sandi said...

Yeah, I'm done trying to read that craptacular book. Although I'll watch the movie at any time of day! Colin Firth... yummy!