Tuesday, October 30, 2012

I Would Like to be a Hobbit, Please!

Thanks to Hurricane Sandy, I had 2 days without much to do, therefore I decided to bake some of my famous chocolate chip cookies and watch The Lord of the Rings trilogy for the umpteenth time. I have come to the conclusion that I would like to be a hobbit. Is that possible?? At 5'2", I would be a rather tall hobbit (as they average 3'6"), but none the less, I would like to be one. Why? (you might ask)  

It's simple. Hobbits are an amazing people. "Tolkien depicted Hobbits as fond of an unadventurous, bucolic and simple life of farming, eating, and socializing, although capable of defending their homes courageously if the need arises. They would enjoy six meals a day, if they could get them. They were often described as enjoying simple food, though this seems to be of an Oxfordshire style, such as cake, bread, meat, potatoes, and tea." (Wikipedia) Come on - six meals a day of cake, bread, meat, potatoes, and tea!  Right there is reason enough to be a hobbit. Their average life span is 100 years. They're incredibly loyal and caring to their friends and occasionally get to hang out with wizards, elves, dwarfs, and kings. Their hobbit holes are very comfortable and cozy living spaces. I mean other than the hairy feet, hobbits are an ideal race of beings. So would it be possible to be a hobbit? Please say "yes" - pppplllleeeaaaassseeee!!!

And yes, I am looking forward to the upcoming Hobbit trilogy, especially as it is starring three favorite British actors: Martin Freemen (of Sherlock and The Office fame) as Bilbo Baggins, Richard Armitage (of North and South fame) as Thorin Oakenshield and Benedict Cumberbatch (of Sherlock fame) as Smaug!  Not forgetting, of course, Sir Ian McKellan who will be reprising his role as Galdalf. It should be a fantastic series!
In case you're curious about the cookies, here's a photo of them cooling down. Yes, they are yummy. Fortunately for my rear end, my colleagues at school will benefit from my boredom!

No comments: