Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Tattoos: Yes. Piercings: No!

Next tattoo ideas
People may find it strange that I have such a strong negative opinion of piercings.  Yes, I do have tattoos and have written extensively about them.  I love my tattoos and don't regret them at all. My students also love my tattoos and have asked me about them, which I gladly share the stories behind each tattoo. It's important that they understand that you should choose a tattoo design that means something personal, not just the "I like the design" reason. 

It's interesting that I occasionally come across online articles on tattoos and aging.  Do you think that when I'm in my 70s or 80s my biggest issue will be about my aging tattoos? I have a feeling I'll be far more concerned on whether I can afford to retire and keep myself fed and in a home or perhaps medical issues. Certainly not my tattoos! 

So why does someone who has 6 tattoos and contemplating a 7th (see photos) have such issues with piercings? First, I do have my ears pierced so I'm not completely against piercings. It's the nose, lip, tongue, cheek, labret, genitalia, and nipple piercings which bother me. Facial piercings bug me the most for the following reason: when I talk to people, I like to look in their eyes because that's how you can see if they're being honest. But I find that when someone has a facial piercing, my eyes are immediately drawn to that area. Therefore, instead of looking in their eyes, I'm distracted and looking at their nose, lip, tongue, cheek, labret, etc.  It's actually why I don't mind eyebrow piercings for that specific reason. Nose piercings have an additional gross out factor for me due to the high rate of colds and sinus issues I have. Yuck! Nipple and genitalia piercings just sound painful, but as long as I don't get them, whatever. That's your choice.

Why am I bringing up this topic? Simple! I have a student who just got a new tongue piercing.  I'm not sure what parent allowed a 14-year old girl to get this piercing, but the major problem is that the piercing is infected.  Due to this medical problem, the student loss 3 days of school and is in massive amount of pain. For what? A tongue piercing! Ugh! Oh well, too each their own. So for me, tattoos yes.  Piercings, no!

4 comments:

Erin said...

LOVE the ink idea :) Try and go a littler larger for it. I have an 8th note on my ankle and well its kinda blurry. :/ Though I will have to disagree with you on the piercings 0:) i ♥ my trifecta lol

Sandi said...

LOL!! You are sooooooooooooo adorable! Oh, it'll definitely be larger than what I posted on the blog. I just can't decide on the music notes or the book. Of course, I could get two....

Erin said...

I like the 2 idea personally...but you can NEVER have enough ink in my opinion

Sandi said...

Agreed. Now I have to think about location(s)...