Sunday, October 7, 2012

"Elementary," My Dear Watson!

I don't review many television programs, because television is generally pretty awful these days - what with the inordinate amount of annoying reality tv programs. But I felt the need to write about my latest obsession - a new television show on CBS, Elementary.  If you haven't watched this show, you must!  First, because it stars the über-sexy and very British Johnny Lee Miller.  I first discovered Mr. Miller when I saw the 2009 BBC mini-series of Jane Austen's Emma, where he wonderfully portrayed Mr. Knightly - my second favorite Austen leading man (after Mr. Darcy, of course).  Second, it has solid writing and an amazing cast (Lucy Liu as Watson and Aidan Quinn as NYC Police Captain Gregson). Final reason, it's a really entertaining contemporary update of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes detective stories (set in the United States instead of the UK). It's a win-win-win situation.  

In Elementary, Holmes (Miller) is "a former consultant to Scotland Yard, and an addict who travels to New York City to check into a rehabilitation center and stays on in Brooklyn with a newly-found sober companion Joan Watson" (Liu) and assists the NYC police department at the request of Captain Gregson (Quinn) on various crimes. Witty, funny, and well acted, this new series is a joy!  Check it out - Thursday nights at 10pm on CBS.

Of course, if you read the reviews on IMDB of the new series, you may think it's not worth the trouble of watching.  Mostly, the complaints seem to be around the reviewer's belief that Elementary not as good as the BBC's Sherlock, but I disagree. While I do like the BBC series, I think that Elementary is just as good.  Yes, they're both procedural crime shows and no, neither of the updated Sherlocks are not remotely close to Doyle's Sherlock, but who cares! Both are enjoyable shows.  Let's just leave it at that!  I admit that the CBS version of Sherlock is not the usual depiction of Holmes, but that's what I find so appealing.  It's a different interpretation of a well-loved character and one I find fascinating to watch. Tune in and judge for yourself.


8 comments:

Arun said...

I liked Lucy Liu's Joan Watson. I am not so sure about Miller's Sherlock though.

Cheers!

Sandi said...

Judging from you interests, buddy2blogger, you are a true Holmes fan. I'd be interested to know what you think in subsequent viewings of Elementary!

Mary said...

Have to disagree with you - the BBC Sherlock actually uses Sherlock speeches lifted from the original Doyle stories. Elementary is more like a cop show with a lead character who just happens to be named Sherlock Holmes.

Sandi said...

Well, I think that's my point though. I enjoy both shows equally for different reasons. I don't particularly care that Elementary is using Holmes's name. I like the show because it's a decent show. Oh, and Miller is sexy! :-)

Marianne said...

I have it on DVR haven't watched it yet. I was never a fan of the original so, I might like this better.

Sandi said...

I'll be interested in hearing what you think when you do watch it, cuz

Marianne said...

I watched the first two episodes of "Elementary" and, I liked it. He is quirky and endearing despite his brashness. Lucy is good as Watson although, Jude Law will always be my favorite. It was somewhat predictable but it is less about the crimes and more about the relationship for me. I'll keep watching to see how that angle develops. I also watched 666 Park Avenue. Average. "American Horror Story" is so much better. But it has Dylan McDermott and Jessica Lange. Hard to compete there.

Sandi said...

Good to hear all that. Although I didn't like American Horror Story.