Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Yoga or Self-Inflicted Torture?

I never considered myself a masochist but after tonight's little foray into the world of yoga, I may have to rethink that position. 

Over the years, I've had plenty of friends who have recommended my taking up yoga as a form of exercise and relaxation.  I have always resisted this suggestion, mostly because I didn't think I have the mindset for it.  And I was right, I don't. Tonight, I joined a couple of friends at a local yoga studio for my first ever yoga class and I can't believe I paid money for this agony.  I haven't yet figured out which is the worse part - the physical or the mental aspect, but I believe (for me) it's the mental. 

After years of dance classes and performing in musical theatre, I'm fairly flexible, so the physical part is not as big a problem as the mental. Some of the poses aren't the easiest, but I imagine that the more you do them, the easier they get. Although my joints have taken quite a beating over the years, so I may never be able to fully commit to the poses. But the turning off of the mind is ... in two words ... IM - POSSIBLE!  (Okay, technically that's one word, but I'm saying it emphatically.)  The final pose of the night is called "corpse pose" and you are suppose to turn off your mind and just lay like a corpse and breathe for ... well, it feels like hours but I'm sure it's probably just 5 minutes.  I couldn't do it.  I actually wrote most of this blog while in the corpse pose because I couldn't stop my mind from thinking about everything.  One of the other ladies said the more you go, the easier it gets. But for the over-thinking and obsessive mind like I have, I think it'll nevah happen.

Unfortunately I have already pre-paid for 10 classes and I really hate to waste money - even if it was only $20.  So I guess I'll be forcing myself to attend 9 more of these little hours of joy (where is that sarcasm font?!?!).  I'm not sure there will be an eleventh class, but I could be wrong.  I've been wrong before.

I wish I looked as good as
Yogi does doing these positions!

2 comments:

Stacie said...

LMAO! I love corpse pose...I don't know what that says about me. AND I am stealing YOGI!

Sandi said...

LOL! Feel free to steal Yogi, Stace-a-lah. I stole him from another friend. :-)