Monday, May 7, 2012

Favorite Healthy Recipes!

I admit it - I'm a foodie!  Always have been, always will be.  But these days I'm a healthier foodie.  As I currently have a lot of time on my hands, I've had the opportunity to experiment with cooking various healthy recipes and would like to share some of my current favorites.  Some of the recipes link to other sites where I found them and some are my own creations, or a combination thereof:

1.  Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts by the Barefoot Contessa: These lovely little cabbages have always been a favorite vegetable when I've eaten out. Who knew that they were so easy to make at home?? The only change I made: I placed the olive oil, salt, pepper and sprouts in a ziploc bag in order to mix them thoroughly before laying them out on the baking sheet. So much easier than mixing them in a bowl.  I also don't use nearly as much salt as she does. I've also been known to add onions and/or garlic when I've had them in supply.  Yummy!

2.  Mashed Butternut Squash:  I had purchased a butternut squash and having never made it before, I checked out dozens of different recipes.  I decided to take some initiative on my own and create a healthier side dish than one loaded with milk and butter.  Cut your squash into 1/2 inch cubes, drizzle with a little olive oil and place on a cookie sheet in the oven (preheated at 400°).  Roast the squash until tender (approximately 30 minutes); turning once to ensure even cooking.  Transfer cooked squash to a mixing bowl and whip with a mixer.  Add cinnamon and butter flavoring (I used Kernel Season's Popcorn Seasoning) to taste.  Feel free to add milk or butter if you prefer, but that will add calories.

3.  Sauteed Kale by Bobby Flay:  Kale is my new favorite vege.  One of the healthiest vegetables available, this is an amazingly easy recipe.  I will say that I do use vegetable stock instead of just water.  It adds a little more zing to the kale.  Also, I have eliminated the vinegar and find that I prefer it without.  If you add some onions to the recipe, it's even better.  Kale is also great for making kale chips.  While kale chips are not exactly kettle chips, they're still pretty yummy and quite healthy.

4.  Quinoa and Turkey Meatball Stuffed Pepper:  I'm a huge fan of quinoa!  Such a healthy little grain-like crop.  One night, I had nothing out for dinner and needed to come up with something on the fly.  I checked my cabinets, fridge and freezer and saw that I had quinoa, some homemade frozen turkey meatballs, shredded cheese and a beautiful red bell pepper.  <light bulb>  Perfect for making a stuffed pepper and an easy no brainer meal. Take the turkey meatball from the freezer and place it in a toaster oven on 375° for approximately 20 minutes to fully defrost and warm up. (Obviously, if you don't have any frozen meatballs, brown some ground meat in a skillet.) While the meatball is defrosting, cook up the quinoa by mixing in a sauce pan a 1/4 cup of the quinoa and 1/2 cup of water, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for approximate 15 minutes until cooked (feel free to add spices if desired). Cut the top off of the bell pepper and remove the seeds, take the warmed meatball, mash it and mix it with the quinoa and spoon the mixture into the pepper. Cover the pepper with some foil and place it into the oven to cook for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and add some low fat shredded cheese to the top of the pepper (I used the Sargento Reduced Fat Sharp Cheddar).  Pop the pepper back into the oven for another 5-10 minutes (uncovered) until the cheese melts.  Voila! 

5.  Pumpkin Spice Cake:  Okay, even though I'm eating healthier, I still need to have my sweet fix.  This is one of my favorites.  An easy two ingredient cake:  Mix a box of spice cake mix with a 15 oz. can of 100% pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) and pour into a greased 9x12 dish and bake according to the directions on the box.  Done!  You can also pour batter into muffin pans and bake up some lovely muffins.  Trust me, you will not be disappointed.  I've seen people use different types of cakes to make this dessert (chocolate, white, yellow, etc.), but I like the spice mix. The nice thing about this cake is that you're not adding any eggs or oil, thereby making it healthier. 

6.  Pineapple Angel Food Cake:  A friend actually gave me this recipe awhile ago, and I have seen it posted everywhere. It is probably one of the best and easiest desserts to make.  I made it for my book club recently and it was like I served crack. They couldn't get enough. This is yet another two ingredient recipe:  Mix a box of angel food cake mix and 16 oz. of crushed pineapples in juice and pour into a greased 9x12 dish and bake according to the directions on the box.  Heavenly!! 

Trust me these recipes taste so much better than the chain link fence that tree is noshing on. The next recipe I plan on trying is Roasted Beets.  I love beets when served at a restaurant and hope I can make them just as well at home.  If anyone has healthy recipes that they'd like to share with the rest of the class, please do!  I'm always interested in getting more recipes.
This photo cracks me up!!

No comments: