Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Music Doesn't Lie - Part 3 (F*ck You (Very Much))

"Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world,
then it can only happen through music." – Jimi Hendrix

Just like the hearing of a song can bring you back to a specific time in your life (see Music Doesn't Lie - Part 2 (Blinded by the Light)), so can listening to a particular song remind you a specific person, which can be either a good reminder or a bad one. In this case, it's a good reminder. Today, I was listening to Lily Allen's 2009 album, It's Not Me, It's You and was reminded of one of my favorite persons in the whole world - the former CTO of my last company, John! He is such a fantastic human being. John introduced me to Lily Allen, believing that I would really love her music and he was correct. I do love Lily and her music. By way of introduction, he shared a link to her video, "Fuck You (Very Much)" (video is below). In most companies, this action might be grounds for dismissal, but not in my old company - just business as usual. John spent 6 years commuting between NYC and Australia for the company. Finally, he said "enough" (or rather, his wife did) and he moved back home to Australia permanently about 2 years ago. I miss my friend very much, but I'm sure his family is happy to have him home instead of his constant jetting between NYC and Australia, being away months at a time. Oh, but the frequent flyer miles he must have!

This song rocks! A very catchy tune sung with a sweet voice yet transmitting a powerful message. What's not to love! Yes, it's a bit ... um... risque, but then again so is Lily Allen. It's all part of her charm. And yes, this song is about George W. Bush, which is probably why I like it so much. "At a concert in Sao Paulo, Brazil, Allen stated 'It was originally written about this fucking asshole who used to be the President of the United States of America. His name is George W. Bush.'" Well said, Lily.

In honor of my lovely Aussie friend.  John, this video is for you! I always think of you when I hear this song.  I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not. Miss you!


[Warning: contains strong language - not surprisingly.]  Here's a link to the lyrics. It should be noted that the entire album is rock solid and if you don't have it, consider making a purchase.
It's an England-Australia connection

No comments: