Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Under 30 Dilemma...

There was a saying back in the 60s: "Don't trust anyone over 30."  I think we can now modify that statement to read: "Don't trust anyone under 30." Today, I decided to treat myself to a nice lunch out at a nearby restaurant.  Unfortunately, I was subjected to sitting next to three women who decided that the entire restaurant needed to know their conversation and therefore I had no option but to overhear their discussions. All three decided to commiserate with each other about their children - who are all in their early 20s. Their complaints were about how these young adults all have a sense of entitlement, which is common amongst the under 30 crowd. But what they failed to acknowledge is their part in creating these over-privileged young adults. They came to a final conclusion: "Well, times have changed."  Ummmmm.  No, I think not.

Parenting (or a lack thereof) has changed.  I really cannot blame the 20-somethings for thinking that the sun shines out of every one of their orifices and that everything should be handed to them on silver platters. After all, that is how they were raised. I blame the parents who have treated their offspring as the greatest gift to mankind. Parents no longer want to be the bad guy so they have created these narcissistic beasts by overly praising their accomplishments and not criticizing them under any circumstances. Now, I am certainly not saying that ALL 20-somethings have these delusions of self grandeur, but, by and large, there is a higher percentage of young adults who have these feelings of entitlement. They have had a greater many things handed to them and think nothing of asking for high end brand names such as Apple, Coach and Gucci. The Gen Y'ers parents have (at least until recently) either had a great disposable income or have put themselves into credit card debt so they can buy little Johnny or little Janey that new toy, gadget, electronic, etc. just because they passed a spelling test.

Here is a real life example from one of my former places of employment of a Gen Y'ers mindset.  There was a very junior assistant who had been out of college all of 6 months and this job was her first full-time position. Less than a month after starting, she started asking how she could climb her way into a senior management position and when will she get stock options. Hmmm. Well, perhaps you should try working longer than it takes lint to form.  This same person also said that it "wasn't her job" when approached to do something by a more senior member of staff.  Sorry, my dear, but as you are the lowest person on the totem pole, it is your job.  <sigh>

Makes me sad for the Gen Y'ers.  They expect everything to be handed to them without actually having to put in the work.  They are in for a very rude awakening that life is not that easy.  I'm hoping that the parents who are raising the Gen Z'ers will do a better job at balancing out expectations and realities with their offspring.  Otherwise, I weep even harder for the future.

3 comments:

Kim said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzxcjg7YZSs

Unknown said...

Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.

Sandi said...

Well said, Unknown. And while I accept those truths, I can't help but be saddened by the current trends. I'm not saying that everything was rosy when I was growing up because it wasn't. But there is scientific research supporting my stance on the Gen Y'ers sense of entitlement and I just think it could have been avoided. See: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/jobs/the_worst_generation_ZHtISjvJY3GglWGTlWa0gO.