Wednesday, October 22, 2014

More From Edinburgh (Day 2 - GToE)

Hello again from Edinburgh! Today was another fun filled day of exploring this amazing city! After a fractured night of sleep, I awoke semi-refreshed but ready to continue my adventures.

It started with a visit to Starbucks for a chai tea and a bacon buttie (a bacon sandwich - seriously, Starbucks US needs to add this to their menu). This was followed by a trip to Argos, a store which sells pretty much everything, to pick up a "pay as you go" mobile phone. Note to anyone traveling to the UK - do not get a SIM card for O2 mobile because they do not accept non-UK credit cards. ARGH! Long story short - I had to find a O2 store in order to add minutes to my SIM card. 

After that, I started my sightseeing-filled day with The Writer's Museum, which I briefly mentioned yesterday. This museum "celebrates the lives of three giants of Scottish literature - Robert Burns, Sir Walter Scott, and Robert Louis Stevenson" (TWM website). Now I'm not much of a Burns or Scott aficionado, but I adore Stevenson. Housed on three floors of the historic Lady Stair's House, I saw personal objects, portraits, manuscripts, first editions, and so much more of each of these writers. It was an English major's/teacher's dream. Bonus: it was free! 

Following my visit to The Writer's Museum, I visited the National Library of Scotland. Unfortunately, I couldn't actually get into the reading rooms because you must have a library card, so I can only tell you that it is a beautiful building with some interesting exhibits. By now it was nearly 11am and time for a spot of tea. I happened upon the Elephant House (where JR Rowling penned her early Harry Potter books) and decided to stop for tea and a cake. Okay, I'll fess up - I didn't "happen upon" it. I knew where I was heading, but beyond the HP connection, it's an amazing quaint little tea shop. I had a pot of breakfast tea and a slice of lemon cake. YUM!!! This tea shoppe may require an additional visit. Naturally, in honor of JK Rowling, I started re-reading the first Harry Potter book while I was noshing. I'm such a nerd!

My belly filled with deliciousness, I moved along to the National Museum of Scotland, which is Scotland's natural history museum. (Also, free.) I spent about 2 hours touring this massive museum and observed some amazing artifacts. Even though I prefer art museums over natural history museums, it was still time well spent.  After leaving the NMS, I headed along Edinburgh's Royal Mile and decided to stop in the Edinburgh Museum (free). Less inspiring than the NMS, I gave it approximately 15 minutes of my time.

I reached the end of the Royal Mile and my next destination: the Palace of Holyroodhouse. Not free, but worth every pound paid. This magnificent palace is the Queen's official residence in Scotland. I started with touring the Queen's Gallery which was exhibiting the history of Britain's poets laureate. Okay, I'm not much of a poetry fan but it was interesting enough. I then toured the royal palace and the attached ruined abbey. Unfortunately, you do not get to see the entire palace, but the tour includes the State Apartments and Mary, Queen of Scots' Chambers. If you like tapestries, go to Holyroodhouse. They have some of the most exquisite tapestries. But the most beautiful part of the palace was Mary, Queen of Scots' Chambers. Her bed is stunning. Unfortunately, photography is not allowed in the palace, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

After touring the palace, I went across the street to the hideous (on the outside) Scottish Parliament building. Sadly, Parliament was not in session, but the inside of the building is beautiful. The outside is jarringly ugly because it does not fit in at all with the rest of the city. I then walked Princes Street, which is Edinburgh's shopping district where I had a late lunch/early dinner (4:30?) of a traditional Cornish pasty. Finally, I ended up on top of Calton Hill, the first public park in Edinburgh. The views from up on the hill are stunning as are the monuments located on top.

I returned to my hostel for a brief rest, before heading out once more to take an evening tour, called The Dark Side tour, which is a 2 hour walking tour of Edinburgh's "creepiest sites and darkest tales". The tour actually lasted 2.5 hours and strange tales were told of witch burnings, body snatchers, living burials, Edinburgh's cannibals and vampires, and touring cemeteries. Very fun!!!! Sadly, my camera takes crappy nighttime photos or I would have had some stunning evening views of the city.

All in all, it was a great, but very exhausting day with tons of walking. You can see my Day 2 photos on my GToE photo site. Fair warning: I took a boatload of photos today!

4 comments:

Marianne said...

Sounds like a great time!

Stacie said...

Wish I was there to walk around with you, but I am tired just reading about the trekking. ;-)

Heather A said...

Wow so pretty. Can really see how HP incorporated Scotland highlights. Perhaps youbeill fid Brigadoon. Is there Heather blooming? Just beautiful. You may have to buy new walking shoes!!!!

Martin said...

Digging on the Darkside tour!