Friday, October 10, 2014

A Sad Farewell to my Very Special Furry Friend...

In the 48+ years that I've lived on this Earth, I have had my fair share of pets: cats, dogs, birds, fish, hamster, turtles, and even a salamander. There is something comforting about coming home to a friendly face that is only looking for some affection and the occasional meal. With all of my pets, I have had to face losing them - whether to death or needing to find them new homes for various reasons, but today was the worst possible scenario. 

Today, my beautiful and adoring cat, Lotta had to be surrendered to a local rescue because I was unable to find her a new home. Even though I have had to give up pets before, this task was the hardest I've ever had to do. Knowing that she will be in a cage until they can find her a new home breaks my heart. I didn't have any other choice but it doesn't mean that I feel good about what I did today. In fact, I feel like I've once again failed someone - an innocent sweet cat who only wanted to feel safe and protected and I couldn't provide that for her. Saying goodbye broke my heart and I don't know how I'll get over the guilt. The look she gave me as they took her away will haunt me for the rest of my life.

To my baby girl, Lotta: I apologize for leaving you in that place. I love you more than you will ever know and I can only hope that you find a new home with people who will understand what a magnificent companion you are. I will miss your beautiful furry face and your affectionate kisses. You were the best friend that anyone could ask for. I carry you in my heart forever!

7 comments:

Tom said...

I'm so sorry and sad. I wish she could have roomed with Potter.

Sandi said...

Yeah, me too.

Stacie said...

<3 Hugs <3

Lee said...

Sending you love and hugs

Maureen said...

I'm so sorry you didn't find a home for her. I can only imagine how difficult it was giving her to the rescue. :-(

Melissa Kate said...

so sorry Sandi that I couldn't drive to you and take her home. You did the right and difficult thing. She is at a rescue that will do their best to find her a good home. She had the most loving wonderful mama for her time with you, and cats do have memories. She will remember her time with you as wonderful. They do not harbor hard feelings in the way that we do. She will be ok.

Sandi said...

Thanks, Melissa Kate!