Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Death With Dignity

Today, I stumbled upon a story of a 29-year old, bright, beautiful woman, Brittany Maynard, who is tragically dealing with terminal brain cancer. After discovering her brain tumor this past Spring, physicians have given her a life expectancy of 6 months. Brittany has made the courageous decision (along with her family) to leave their home in California in order to relocate to Oregon, one of only 5 states that has a death with dignity law. This law allows terminal patients the legal right to end their suffering, also known as physician-assisted death (PAD) or physician-assisted suicide (PAS). The other four states are Montana, New Mexico, Vermont, and Washington. On November 1, Brittany Maynard will take a lethal dose of a prescription medication and, surrounded by her loved ones, will die with dignity.

Here is the video that she recorded which explains so eloquently why she has made this decision (get your tissues out!):

Brittany and I are not all that different. We both have a terminal disease. We both want the most out of our lives (quality over quantity). We both love to travel and want to see as much of the world as we can with whatever time we have left. We both want to make decisions over our medical care that are the correct choices for us. I applaud Brittany and am in complete agreement with her.

I have long been a proponent of PAD. If my disease worsens to the point that I am no longer myself, I would like to have the opportunity to end my suffering. But 45 state governments have the right to tell me that I cannot. Instead, I would have to suffer unbearable pain and other indignities simply because the state in which I reside says that I cannot make end of life decisions for myself. Perhaps I should think about relocating to one of the 5 states that has death with dignity laws.

I personally am tired of governmental hacks telling me what I can and cannot do with my body. My reproductive rights are mine to decide. My end of life options should be left up to me and my loved ones, not the government. If you believe as I do, take action and get involved. Every terminally ill patient should have the right to die with dignity and only through grassroots action can change happen. Check out The Brittany Maynard Fund and Compassion & Choices or Death With Dignity websites. It's time to decriminalize PAD. 

Read more about Brittany's story in this Washington Post article.

11 comments:

Janis said...

I absolutely, wholeheartedly agree. Every person should have the right to decide, when faced with a terminal illness, how the end should come. That it will come is inevitable. I can't think of anyone who would prefer to linger as a drooling, drugged up, incontinent shell of a person, running up medical bills it will take the next three generations to pay off. Much respect to her and her family for her choice, and to you and your family for your choice.

Sandi said...

Thanks, Janis!!!

Jessie said...

I read this story this morning and it really stuck with me. I completely agree with everything you say and honor this young woman's courage to own and control her own destiny. It should be a privilege to have in this kind or situation and respected by fellow people, no matter their personal feelings on the laws.

Sandi said...

Well said, Jessie (and Janis)!

Tom said...

I agree. Government and religious wackadoos are the cause for people losing their rights to do what they want with their bodies.

Becky said...

I TOTALLY agree!

Marianne said...

I agree as well!

Heather A said...

Sandi you are a miracle! So brilliant smart and funny. Thank ypu for sharing your journey with us all. A true inspiration that will help us all. Perhaps change the course of the way we view death & dying.

Erica said...

I heard about this woman on the news. I agree with you, Sandi.

Sandi said...

Thanks, ladies!

Anonymous said...

My sister and I live in New Jersey, without the right to die rights (PAD/PAS). My sister is 50 years young and has terminal lung cancer. Right now as I am writing this (6/29/2015) she is in the last phase of life, and she is suffering, I am suffering and her whole family is suffering watching her slowly die each and every day. I am sure sure if she would have considered PAD/PAS, but I think I might entertain the thought if it were to ever come down to it. But what I am saying is that I would like the right to make that choice if I want to.