Tuesday, October 7, 2014

An Interesting Look at "Americanah"

Wow, it has been forever since I've done a book review. Partly because I haven't been reading all that much these days (too busy with Europe trip planning and moving) and partly because I haven't read many books which were review worthy. But that changed with Nigerian author, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's novel, Americanah.

Synopsis: "Ifemelu and Obinze are young and in love when they depart military-ruled Nigeria for the West. Beautiful, self-assured Ifemelu heads for America, where despite her academic success, she is forced to grapple with what it means to be black for the first time. Quiet, thoughtful Obinze had hoped to join her, but with post-9/11 America closed to him, he instead plunges into a dangerous, undocumented life in London. Fifteen years later, they reunite in a newly democratic Nigeria, and reignite their passion—for each other and for their homeland" (Amazon.com).

Review: This book was chosen by my book club therefore it was probably not a book I would have read on my own, but that being said, I'm certainly glad that I read this wonderful novel. This is the first novel of Adichie that I have read, but it won't be the last.

At first, I had a very hard time getting into this book. I would pick it up, read a few pages, put it back down, and then try again a few hours later. It wasn't until I reached page 150 or so that I finally began to feel some connection with the characters at the heart of this story of race, class, and American society. The author had me thoroughly engaged, as the book began to take on the feel of an epic American story.

The author has created prose that is dense with meaning and oftentimes beautiful. Her observations on race and America are perceptive, intelligent and unique. If I were reading them in a non-fiction collection of essays, I would be dazzled simply because they are that powerful. They certainly caused this liberal white woman to look at some things in a new way. This book forced me to read with patience, savoring ideas and descriptions, and admiring particularly well-crafted phrases. 

Americanah is infused with a kind of perceptiveness that allows the reader to engage in an internal conversation that has the potential to both challenge and validate your thinking. It’s contemporary and immediate. The prose is fresh and the use of blog entries by Ifemelu adds to the modern tone of the novel. Although the lens of this text is primarily focused on America and the scars that slavery has left on our collective soul, the author does not shy away from the residual effects of colonization on the Nigerian people. While the construct of blackness and the accompanying discrimination as experienced in the US is not viable in Nigeria, color prejudice, corruption, and classism appear to be alive and well. 

I recommend reading this book with someone of another race and see where the discussion takes you. Sadly, my book club is filled with liberal, middle-class white women.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Check out Adichie's fascinating 2009 TED Talk:


No comments: