Saturday, September 21, 2013

September 22nd is Hobbit Day. Will You Be Celebrating?

In honor of the mutual birthdays of fictional characters Frodo and Bilbo Baggins, September 22nd is Hobbit Day!! The nerd girl in me loves this idea and I fully plan on finding a way to celebrate Hobbit Day tomorrow, because as I mentioned in a previous post, I would like to be a hobbit. I found a Hobbit Day poster (see below) via The Hobbit page on Facebook and it seems pretty straight forward on how to celebrate.

Hobbit Day is best celebrated outdoors, "with plenty of room for games and dancing. Music is a must!"  I like games and dancing, so it already sounds like a good day. Some of the suggested games are: horseshoe tossing, beanbag throwing, egg and spoon races, etc. I'm not sure there's a way for me to do any of these games, but perhaps I can come up with a games or two of my own. It does not specifically mention what type of music should be played but with nearly 7,000 songs on my iPod Touch, I'm probably covered. Of course, if the weather is not conducive for outdoor activities, an indoor party is just as fun. The suggested indoor games are rhyming games, or making up haiku, poems, limericks, songs, etc. It's also known that hobbits are good at riddles and I very much enjoy word games so that is always an option!

Most importantly, there should be plenty of Hobbit foods!!! Just some of the suggested food and beverages are: mushrooms, wine, beer, hot soup, cold meats, blackberry tarts, ripe cheese, scones, pin wheel sandwiches, tea, and coffee. A very yummy menu, with the lone exception of the mushrooms. Yuck!

Check out the poster for complete instructions on How to Throw a Hobbit Day Party. Sadly, my party will be a party for one, but I can still have tons o' fun. Or perhaps I'll just spend the day reading The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy. That seems like an acceptable way of celebrating! Of course, I could be lazy and just watch The Hobbit movie instead.

Will you celebrate Hobbit Day?

 

2 comments:

Tom Smith said...

I'm going to spend it watching the Phillies most likely getting beat by a bunch of Hobbits.

Sandi said...

That sounds more like punishment than enjoyment.