Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Are There Dream Jobs?

This week has been a particularly heinous and frustrating work week and it got me thinking: 

                 Are there really any dream jobs out there??

I have a list of jobs that I think would be perfectly dreamy, but I suspect that there are no dream jobs - ultimately we all have to work with other people which often makes jobs not be a joy.  Back when all I wanted was a successful career as a stage performer, I had to deal with raging egos from other actors, crazy directors, and a whole host of other annoying issues. So while I loved being a performer and miss it, it wasn’t always a dream job.

Now I’m teaching – something that I love and am pretty good at doing, but I have to deal with students who don’t know how to be students, crazy and incompetent colleagues, and a whole host of other annoying issues. Therefore, much as I love it, it's not quite a dream job.

One of my dream jobs would be laying on my couch reading novels for a living.  But I'm not certain that's actually a job. I could perhaps find a job reading manuscripts but to do that, I’d have to work in publishing and then I’d be reading an assortment of the good, the bad and the ugly manuscripts, plus I’d be dealing with the corporate world which is something I never want to do ever again in my life. Corporate America and I do not see eye to eye on…well… anything!

I used to think I'd like to own a small independent bookstore, but reading books apparently is going the way of the dodo bird, if my students are to be believed. I'd probably be out of business in no time. 

So is there really a dream job or is that just a myth – like the Yeti, the Loch Ness Monster, and unicorns??  Is there anyone out there who actually has found their dream job and is it always a dream… or is it occasionally a nightmare??

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've said I don't really have a job. I have a lifestyle!

Unknown said...

From K Duckworth