Saturday, September 14, 2013

Music Doesn't Lie - Part 23 (On My Own)

"Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world,
then it can only happen through music.
" – Jimi Hendrix

It always amazes me when a song that I've been listening to for eons takes on a whole new meaning due to life experiences. I'll give you an example. In 1987, one of the most amazing musicals arrived in New York City after an extremely successful run in London and Paris. I'm talking of course of the Claude-Michel Schönberg, Alain Boublil, Trevor Nunn stunning musical, Les Miserables, which is based on the gripping novel by Victor Hugo. If you haven't seen the musical or read the novel, you are missing a heart-wrenching tour de force! I actually have not had the pleasure of seeing the 2012 film - which is surprising considering my adoration of Hugh Jackman.

I first saw this musical in Philadelphia in 1988 as part of the national tour and saw it a subsequent four or five times on Broadway. This musical captured my heart from the first note and for the longest time was my top choice for best musical. It's still in my top 10...maybe even my top 5... and more than 25 years later, it still captures my heart. Back in my stage performance days, I wanted so desperately to play the tragic character of Éponine, knowing that I was completely wrong for the role, but would have sold an internal organ for the chance. As I got older, I realized that I was perfect for the role of Madame Thénardier, the comic relief role and still would gladly sell a body part to play her on Broadway. Alas, 'twas not meant to be in either case, but a girl can dream can't she?

For the past couple of days, I've been listening to the Broadway soundtrack and noticed something interesting. Over the past 5 years or so, my life has become in some ways very Éponine-like, much more so than when I was younger and wanted to play the role. Now when I listen to her songs of unrequited love and angst, I actually empathize much more today than I could have 25 years ago. It's just very funny where life takes you. 

The Éponine song that I'm highlighting today is my favorite and the one which most closely represents my life. Being sung by the incomparable Lea Salonga during the 10th anniversary concert version of Les Miz, here is "On My Own" (lyrics).

2 comments:

Stacie said...

I love it so so much!! I cried from the moment the Bishop gave him the candlesticks through to the end! Sadly, I also had the great misfortune of hearing Miss Georgia's rendition of "On My Own" last night during the Miss America pageant.

Sandi said...

Yet another reason to boycott the Miss America pageant! :-)