Friday, September 27, 2013

Chemo Treatment #5 - Horrendous!

I believe I've mentioned a few times how much I hate chemotherapy and only because I'd have several people angry with me if I don't finish the treatment, I'd call it quits.  After treatment #4, I had the most severe side effects...that is until today. Three weeks ago, by Saturday morning I was sick as a dog. The neuropathy has gotten 10 times worse and doesn't seem to be going away (and may never go away).  The joint pain is just as ghastly, and let's not even talk about the nausea which caused me to lose 7 pounds in 5 days. I do not recommend chemotherapy as a weight loss regimen.  

Today started pretty bad and just got worse. The oncologist who is filling in for my regular doctor decided to give me a brief lecture about needing to lose weight. I came close to punching him in the face, but decided to take the high road and not turn into my students. I basically ignored his pointless and ill-timed advice. Next I spent again 6 hours having toxins invading my body, but the worse part is that half way through treatment the nausea was already hitting me. That does not bode well for how I will be feeling over the next couple of days. This turn of events sucks the weenie because I have so much work to do between lesson planning and grading approximately 40+ essays. (I should have received 88 essays from my students, but...)

All I kept thinking today was that I want someone to come take me away from all of this misery. If I had my choice, I'd like it to be the Tenth Doctor. If he could come in his TARDIS and take me somewhere amazing - I don't really care where or when (although Regency era England would be nice - I'd like to meet Jane Austen), just so that I don't have to deal with this crap anymore. But as The Doctor is just a wonderful fictional television character, I suppose that's not happening. I just have to hope that I can get through the next week with as little pain, nausea, and fatigue as possible. I don't have high hopes, but perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised.  

A big thank you to my friend, Bonnie, who came by to bring me love, cookies, and flowers. She just knew that I needed a little TLC.  I'm glad that I have such amazing friends!
The view from the window of
the oncology ward.
Very pretty sky today!

11 comments:

Tom Smith said...

I'll grade your essays for you. Everyone gets Cs.

Sandi said...

Tom, Cs are probably too generous for my students. Some are barely literate.

Bonnie, <3 you right back.

Jodi said...

I wish you had thrown that punch!!!!!!! WTF???? Ill-timed is very polite!

Sandi said...

He's an old man. I would have felt guilty clocking a septuagenarian, no matter how much he deserved it.

Jodi said...

Well, I love you! Wish I were closer. xoxo

Sandi said...

Love you too. Yeah, that would be great if we were less than an 8 hour drive away. :-) xoxo

Ildi said...

i'd like to give that oncologist a brief lecture!! hoping you're feeling much better soon! oxo

Stacie said...

Sandi, I have a lot of fat white girl rage pent up...I'd happily punch him for you. But I'll send hugs & love to you instead. So very sorry honey, mom just started her 5th round. It does suck. Big pickled wienies. And that is super sucky!

Jodi said...

<3 <3 "fat white girl rage" .... HA! is that what we call it???? Glad to finally have a name!

Sandi said...

Stacie, you are just the best! I love righteous anger! Give your ever so sweet mama a hug from me! xoxo

Stacie said...

<3 Mama sends one right back atcha! <3