Sunday, August 18, 2013

Even More Must See Brit TV!

Okay, I know that I should be doing actual work on either grad school BS or lesson planning for Lord of the Flies, but I can't seem to get focused. Chemo brain! Instead, I've been watching some amazing British programmes. Adding to my list of recommended British television shows (More Must See Brit TV, The Best of British TV Dramas, and Do You Enjoy British Humour?  Watch These Shows...) are:  
  1. Broadchurch (2013): Starring the very sexy and talented performer, David Tennant (you may remember him from Doctor Who - the 10th (and arguably the best) Doctor), Broadchurch is a television crime drama, involving the death of a young boy and the search for his killer. I have been loving the emotional depth of this show! So often families of murder victims exist merely to give clues for the eventual solution, but in Broadchurch, we are exposed to the grief of a bereft and torn family. The setting is the small fictional seaside town of Broadchurch in Dorset (Southern England). The village setting with its entangled relationships is fertile soil for the twists and tangles of the story. Only a mere 8 episodes, but it is filled with gripping drama. You can catch this show currently on BBC America, although I watched the entire season in two days for free online at CinemaHaven. Season 2 is scheduled for 2014.
  2. Peep Show (2003-Present): Starring funny men, David Mitchell and Robert Webb, Peep Show is an award-winning British sitcom. An utterly, blindingly funny show. Its adult content, however, may preclude less prurient viewers from agreeing with my review. Brief summary: the camera acts alternately as either of the central characters in this show - hence the title. They are both deeply flawed individuals, unable to grasp the source of their unmitigated life-failures, let alone find the inner resources to affect any solution. The show is really about pain - and you won't enjoy it unless you are quite capable of laughing at your own. Fortunately, that's something where I excel. The show is currently filming its 9th season. I've only gotten through seasons 1 and 2, but I will continue to watch the antics of these two rather hilarious losers. Peep Show can be found streaming on Netflix and Hulu.
These shows are the two most recent fantastic British programmes that I've come across. I will continue my quest for the Best of Brit television. I am certain there are more brilliant shows out there of which I am unaware.


6 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Oooh Peep Show gets a "hallelujah!" from me too!

Sandi said...

Nice!! :-)

Franka said...

Love Broadchurch, haven't seen Peepshow but will give it a go tonight. Love and miss you darling. xoxo.

Sandi said...

Franka, you will love Peep Show! Love and miss you too. xoxo

Unknown said...

I can't get into Peep Show because the POV shots throw me off. But I love David Mitchell when he's on my current obsession; QI. I CANNOT STOP WATCHING IT! It's so nerdy, silly and british. A bunch of comedians sit around talking about interesting trivia; hilarity and dick and fart and history jokes ensue!

Sandi said...

Ooooh, QI. I'll have to check it out. Thanks, my darling.