Friday, August 2, 2013

Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word!

There's something that I have never understood - why is it so hard for people to apologize? It's two small, very simple, easy to pronounce words: I'm sorry. Nothing could be easier, wouldn't you say? Personally, I find methylchloroisothiazolinone to be a much more difficult word. <shrugs> Seriously, though I have never had issue with admitting fault when I know that I'm in the wrong. I've even been known to apologize even when I'm not in the wrong, just to make amends with another person and move on with my life and yet it seems that so many people have issues with apologizing.  

What is it about these two words that freaks people out? Is pride? Stubbornness? Being defensive? Is there a much deeper seeded problem? Most likely, it's a combination of many factors and, of course, depends on the person in question. Or is it possible that some people just don't recognize when they are in the wrong? That seems unlikely as no one is perfect in this world and everyone makes mistakes. But is it possible that they just truly do not recognize when they've hurt, injured, or insulted another person? Or is it that some people are just douche bags? In trying to answer these questions, I came across an article from Psychology Today which seems to have some interesting information! I'm not certain if this article is based on research or is merely the author's opinion but it does have some thought provoking content.

Sing it, Elton:

Okay, I had to post this video of Sheldon Cooper making a grand gesture of an apology to Amy Farrah Fowler - quite simply one of the funniest moments from The Big Bang Theory:

2 comments:

SnarkyTom said...

I'm sorry. Now what did I do?

Sandi said...

Ha! Funny, Tom. Wrong brother is apologizing. :-)