Monday, August 26, 2013

Can You Ever Truly Run Away From Your Past?

Pardon me while I vent a bit but I really, really want to know the answer to the above question. Try as I might, I cannot ever seem to run away from my past and it's pissing me off! Listen, I get it - the crap from our past is what makes us who we are, so our past is important. But for futz sake, why is it the things that I most want to move past, forget or just minimize DON'T EVER GO THE EFF AWAY?!!?  I'm reminded of a quote I read recently:

The past is nothing but a weight. It will build inside of you like a stone. If you hear the past speaking to you, feel it tugging at your back and running its fingers up your spine, the best thing to do is run.

But sometimes you cannot run fast enough to rid yourselves of the pain and sadness that just weighs you down when you least expect it. I did some research recently on this annoyance and according to one expert, it's all about unfinished business.  Here's the gist of what he says:

"Having unfinished business is like leaving a movie before it is over; you never know the ending. You never know who survives or thrives . . . Perhaps the most serious of unfinished business is that of tattered relationships left to decay. This can be one of the most serious types of unfinished business because it may be the cause of some of the other negative feelings you have from the past . . . Think back on a past relationship that just dissipated and you (or the other person) did nothing to bring the relationship to closure. Bringing closure to this unfinished relationship does not necessarily mean that you have to write the person, call them, or meet with them (although you may choose to, and in some cases you may have to); it means that you are going to take the necessary steps to bring this relationship to its natural end. It can happen as simply as forgiving them in the privacy of your own mind and soul, or sending them an apology for the wrongs you committed. Regardless, the unfinished business of relationships can continue to cause damage to your self-esteem." [emphasis added] 

Fo' shizzle on that bolded sentence.

I've tried so many different methods to find closure on some past relationships but I still feel like I've got unfinished business from those relationships that just will not rest. Well, I suppose I'll just have to keep on keeping on.

12 comments:

Lee said...

Love this...... I believe you can TRY to run away from your past but it always seems to sneak up on you.....when you least expect it... until you completely deal with it! Good luck, my friend!! <3

Sandi said...

Problem is I need a face to face that isn't going to happen. I've tried and they're not interested in doing me a solid. <3 you too.

Bonnie said...

I have the cure: amnesia

Sandi said...

I was thinking electro-shock, but amnesia is good too

Lee said...

Maybe write them a letter to express your feelings.... even you can't give it to them (or don't want to put it in writing to them)...burn that sucker!!! We did that on our Senior Encounter.... it did help to release some raw emotions.... just a thought!!

Sandi said...

OMG, I remember that letter writing thing from senior encounter. Yeah, maybe I'll try that. I won't bothering to post it because they won't bother to read it. I'm not important enough. :-)

Bonnie said...

All you need for amnesia is either a) a blow to the head, or, b) a blow to the psyche. I could bonk you with a banana whilst calling you something dispicable, like, ummm, poo-brain, and that should do it. Seriously though, I continuously employ "auditory processing" err, talk to myself, during the long long LONG commute to work, and during these "conversations" I try to resolve, and re-resolve, all the crappy stuff, sour interactions, and bad-nesses that need processsing. Very helpful.

Sandi said...

Oh, Bonnie, girl. It's going to take a bonk to the head. I have those conversations daily and it does no good. So come around with that banana.

Bonnie said...

Yeah, talking to yourself only goes so far. Boy-oh.

Lee said...

If they are that stupid... write it and let that baby BURN!!!!! Do it for yourself and ..... they can kiss your BOOTY!!!!

Sandi said...

Lee, LMAO!!! You're the best!!

Sandi said...

Yeah, okay. Writing a letter and burning it without delivering it - doesn't work!!! Guess I'm going to be in hell the rest of my life.