Thursday, August 2, 2012

Music Doesn't Lie - Part 13 (Vivimi)

"Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world,
then it can only happen through music." – Jimi Hendrix

It's been awhile since I last posted as part of my Music Doesn't Lie series - last time was June 7 to be exact. But I have a new artist to feature...new to me, that is. My friend, Lauren who lives in Malta, posted on Facebook that she had attended the concert of a singer - someone that I had never heard of before - and then Lauren posted a video of the performer. After listening to the video, I become intrigued to learn more about this performer, Laura Pausini. Ms. Pausini is an Italian soul singer-songwriter who debuted in 1993. Wow, where the heck have I been for the past 20 years that I have been missing out on this gorgeous voice! Granted the extent of my knowledge of Italian singers is limited to Andrea Bocelli and Luciano Pavarotti (one singer that I love, one I don't - you figure out which). 

This talented performer has released 10 Italian-language studio albums, 9 Spanish-language albums and a greatest hits album. She has been nominated for 70 different music awards and has won 38 including three Latin Grammy Awards, five World Music Awards and three ASCAP Latin Music Awards. She has performed several times with the amazing Andrea Bocelli, including one of my favorite songs "Vivere" (whoops, I guess you can figure out the answer to my earlier statement). Although why these two Italian singers sang half of this song in English is beyond me. So much prettier in Italian. She has also duetted with Luciano Pavarotti, Michael Bublé, and James Blunt.

I am just starting to get to know her music and I am already incredibly impressed with her. Picking just one song is a tough decision for I really like all the music I've listened to so far.  I'll definitely give honorable mentions to "Troppo Tempo" and "Benvenuto" but I think I like "Vivimi" best (below).  So beautiful! I haven't looked for an English translation so I have no idea what this song is about but I can imagine. I can't wait to discover more of this brilliant performer's music.


No comments: