Sunday, August 12, 2012

Strange Olympic Trivia...

Did you know that 'tug of war' was once an event in the Summer Olympics? Seriously! Or that during the 1904 Summer games in St. Louis, the gold medal winner of the marathon was administered a concoction of eggs, brand and strychnine during the race? Weird but true. Or that live pigeon shooting was once an event? Yuck!

While tooling around the internet last night, I stumbled upon a fantastic website - Mentalfloss.com, a site of random, interesting and amazing facts, which had posted these facts and other strange Olympic trivia. For anyone who is a fan of the games, you might find this trivia to be a really fun read.  I know I did!

Today is the final day of the Olympics and it has been a fantastic two weeks of inspirational stories and incredible sportsmanship. The United States athletes did fantastically well (unsurprisingly), but the Great Britain athletes did their home country proud. Well done, GB! I don't know what I'll do with my evenings now.  Oh well, it is just a mere 2 more years until the 2014 winter games, which will take place from the 7th to the 23rd of February 2014, in Sochi, Russia.

By the way, for my fellow Harry Potter fans, Mentalfloss.com had another interesting article, 13 Brazen Harry Potter Knock-Offs From Around the World.  Well worth a visit to the site to read that article.

No comments: