Monday, August 13, 2012

Career Change - Teach Abroad?

I've been thinking of planning yet another adventure - teaching abroad.  I'm not ready right now - at all, but I'm thinking that perhaps when my commitment with TFA is up in 2 years and I've got my Master's degree that perhaps it might be time for me to revisit my dream of living and teaching abroad. While living and teaching in England has been, and will always be, my first preference, I'm sure that would be difficult to get a work visa (let alone finding a teaching position) there...as will anywhere in Europe. Anywhere in Europe (pretty much) would be my second choice after England, but most likely everyone wants to live and teach in Europe. Competition for those jobs would be fierce. The areas which have a ton of teaching positions available are Asia, the Middle East and Africa, but I don't know if I'm quite that adventurous. If I had to choose one of those, I'd probably choose Africa. (Going on safari!) I suppose there's always South or Central America as well. I have a friend who has been living and teaching in Japan for nearly 10 years and he loves it! He's been trying to convince me to move there for ages. Fortunately, I don't have to make this decision today or even anytime over the next 2 years. I have plenty of time to research my options before making any decisions, but I really think I need to do this before I'm way too old to do it.

Of course, I could combine live/teach abroad with getting my PhD, then I might be able to swing Europe.  Hmmmmmmm. Also, if I could find a place in which slightly odd-looking, witty, sarcastic plus-sized women are considered attractive, then I'd be set.  Shoot, I've come full circle back to England.  :-)

I have always wanted to live abroad and I truly have nothing that tethers me to staying in the US except for a handful of friends and a cat. I keep hearing stories from all my fellow TFA corps members who have studied extensively abroad and I really want to have that experience. I wish I had seriously looked into teaching abroad this past year, but in 2 years I'll still be relatively young and can perhaps still do it. Thoughts?

On the TFA front: Last week's Round 0 was (as I predicted) exactly that - a big, fat zero!  It was an almost complete waste of my time and money. The only saving grace was the fact that last Wednesday through Friday's sessions will count toward my Master's degree. Beyond that, it was an annoyingly frustrating week of pointless drivel. Today started much the same.  In fact, I staged a walkout right after lunch...now, granted it was a walkout of one (me!), but a walkout all the same.  After spending the entire morning reading a book because I couldn't do any of the work that they assigned us, I got fed up and said that I was leaving.  If I could have staged a coup d'état, I would have. All the work that other CMs were doing had to do with setting up their classroom culture. Kind of hard to do when you don't have a placement. The classroom culture for a 5th or 6th grade class would be markedly different than a 10th or 11th grade class, so it's impossible for me to come up with any plan and, theoretically, I could be hired for anything from 5th through 12th grade. I did have a job interview last week for a 5th grade Humanities (English and Social Studies) position, which would be pretty fantastic, but so far, I haven't heard anything. I'm also continuing to apply for positions outside of TFA.  Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Tony said...

Yes!! Please, please, please move to Tokyo. You'd love it here! :-)

Sandi said...

LOL!! I doubt I'd choose Tokyo. Kind of over living in an overcrowded, insanely busy city. Miss you so!!