Saturday, August 18, 2012

Singin' in the Rain?? You Must Try It!

Okay, I didn't actually sing or dance like Gene Kelly did in the movie, but last night I walked home from a friend's house in the pouring rain - thunder and lightening included - and it was AMAZING! I am certain that everyone at some point in their childhood splashed through puddles in the rain, but how many of us do it as an adult?

Early last night, I walked approximately 15 minutes across town for a small dinner party at a friend's house. Later in the evening, when I noticed that there was lightening, I decided to head home before it started to rain as I didn't have an umbrella on me. Well, "best laid plans" and all that, suffice to say it didn't work.  Five minutes after leaving my friend's house, the skies opened up and there was a torrential downpour. Instead of starting to run or ducking into a place to wait out the storm, I decided to continue my walk and it was just glorious!  I had the best time - surprisingly so.  Along the way home, I met a few other people who got stuck in the rain including a couple who were howling with laughter because it was incredibly fun. They decided to embrace the experience as I did. By the time I arrived home 15 minutes later, I was soaked to the skin and freezing, but I didn't care. The experience of walking in the rain was well worth the minor discomfort. I wish I could verbalize why it was so exhilarating. I guess it's something you just need to experience first hand.

The next time there's a downpour, don't grab your umbrella.  Just head out and try walking around and see what it's like. I promise you it doesn't disappoint. The only 2 changes I would make if I decided to do this again in the future is: (1) to wear different shoes - flip flops are horrible for walking in the rain so I took them off and walked barefoot.  Walking barefoot was actually pretty sensational, but a little painful after 5 minutes of city street walking.  The second change is to either to be wearing my contacts or have little windshield wipers on my eyeglasses. Looking through eyeglasses that are streaming with water is a bit difficult.

All in all, Gene Kelly had it right - walking, singing and dancing in the rain is joyous!  Sing it, Gene.


2 comments:

Blockface Kid said...

Just watched Singin' in the Rain last night on the big screen. It was part of TCM's 60 anniversary for the film and BluRay release celebration. Loved it!!! Thanks for sharing your on Singin' moment. Waiting for it to rain out here in Portland Oregon so I too can give it a go.

Sandi said...

BK, good to hear that you're planning on giving it a go! I'm sure it won't be long before you have some precipitation! Enjoy!!