Saturday, August 11, 2012

Seinfeld - The Best Sitcom Ever?

Yesterday, as I was watching Elaine Benes "dance" for the umpteenth time, it occurred to me just how much I love watching reruns of Seinfeld.  In the 20+ years since the first episode of this show aired, I have probably seen every episode a dozen times and yet I still find that show to be hilariously funny! So it got me thinking - is Seinfeld the best sitcom of all time? In my humble opinion, I would give a resounding "YES!" Okay, hear me out for a minute on why I have chosen Seinfeld. First, I will acknowledge that Jerry Seinfeld is a terrible actor but for some reason that didn't affect the quality of this show. Why? I can't really answer that question, but it just didn't. Plus how can a show about nothing with 4 of the most obnoxious characters be so brilliant? Again, I don't know but it just is. Mostly the reason I chose Seinfeld as the best sitcom ever is that it is timeless, the characters are relatable, and Seinfeldisms are now a permanent part of the lexicon.  Let's break those down:

Timeless:  Yes, Seinfeld is timeless. I can't imagine that there won't be a time when we won't be able to find an episode of Seinfeld on television. Plus, the show is consistently funny - no matter how much time has passed.

The characters are relatable: Definitely! Much as we hate to admit it, everyone knows someone who is just like Jerry, George, Elaine, Kramer, Newman and every other character on that show. If you don't know someone who is similar to a character on Seinfeld, then you probably are the Seinfeld character.  Additionally, much as we hate to admit it, each one of us wishes we could be like those characters. Yes, at times, they're rude, repellent, and shallow, and yet, we still love them!

Seinfeldisms:  Who hasn't used or heard of "master of your domain" or "yada, yada, yada" or "no soup for you" or "Festivus for the rest of us" or "spongeworthy" or "not that there's anything wrong with that" or "giddyup"?  Anyone?  Anyone??  I thought not.  Is there a more quotable show? Okay, I recognize that  I Love Lucy is a hilarious and timeless show, but is anyone using "Vitameatavegamin" on a daily basis?  Um, no!  If you want to see the complete list of Seinfeldisms, check out this page.

I will give honorable mentions to the following American sitcoms which are hilariously funny and timeless (in no particularly order): Frasier, M*A*S*H, Friends, I Love Lucy, All in the Family and the hundreds of other sitcoms, but none of them can hold a candle to Seinfeld. I would also like to give honorable mentions to the following British sitcoms which I think are equally uproarious (in no particularly order):  Black Books, Father Ted, Absolutely Fabulous, The Office (I don't care for the American version but the British one is brilliant!), Blackadder, Monty Python's Flying Circus, Fawlty Towers, and dozens more.  If you're a fan of British comedy but haven't seen any of these shows, you need to check them out!

Anyone disagree on my conclusion of the best sitcom of all time?  Feel free to prove me wrong.  Meanwhile, here are some of my favorite moments from Seinfeld.  "Sweet fancy Moses!"


No comments: