Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Who You Gonna Call? Ghostbusters?

I recently moved to Newburyport, MA into the 2nd floor apartment of a very old duplex built in the mid-1800s.  This building has all the earmarks of an old New England home - right down to the creepy dirt-floored basement where it looks like bodies have been buried and a creaky attic where I am sure someone's crazy relative lived.  I've heard that Newburyport has its fair share of paranormal activity and I am certain that this building has some entity living in it.  Now I cannot see or feel spirits anymore.  I went through a short period in my life when I was more in touch with the spirit world and could sense paranormal activity and entities.  But alas, that's been gone for decades.  I think, though, that my cat, Lotta, senses something living in this house that is otherworldly. 

Creepy basement!
When we were living in NYC, Lotta never wanted to explore the building we lived in.  She was content to stay within the walls of our apartment and the most she ever was curious about was to sniff at the hallway as I came into the apartment.  Ever since moving to this new building, she has been completely obsessed with getting out of the apartment.  She sits at the main entrance and claws at the door and meows constantly wanting to get out.  A few times I've let her out just to shut her up and she immediately starts hunting for ... well, I'm not entirely sure what she's looking for, except I think she's hunting for something not there.  She sniffs along the floorboards both upstairs and downstairs.  She has even tried to get into my neighbor's apartment downstairs - trying to find whatever it is she's hunting.  There are two places I won't let her explore:  the basement and the attic.  They creep me out just a little too much and I'm afraid she'll get hurt from all the crap located in both.  When I bring her back into the apartment, she again meows and claws at the door trying to get out again.  Very strange.

I am used to her chasing shadows.  That is what cats do best and it's always amusing to watch, but this behavior is just bizarre.  I am certain that she is hunting for an entity.  I'm a little jealous of her.  Sometimes I wish I could still sense these entities.  Maybe I can rent her out as a paranormal hunter.  She can finally earn her keep.  Who you gonna call?? 

Lotta!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your cat is more likely more alert from being moved from NY, cats do try and home and take a while to adjust. She may be hunting for mice or other new smells too. I am not a vet and know nothing about cats though... just saying.

Sandi said...

Oh, sure. Way to ruin it for me by proposing a practical reason for her behavior. I like my posting better than being just a new home adjustment period. It's more interesting. :-) Thanks for reading!

Anonymous said...

Fine. Perhaps then you're seriously suggesting Lotto was actually seen strapping on a proton backpack and chasing orbs which may or may not turn out to be hairballs. What do I know? I am not Bill Murray and know nothing about the Stay Puft Marshmallow man... just saying.

Sandi said...

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks! I needed that image.