Monday, August 15, 2011

My Love Affair with Books


I have had a 40 year continuing love affair with books! There are quite a number of people in my life (family, friends, acquaintances) who just do not understand this affair. I will try to explain it:

I grew up with a bit of a gypsy life. By the time I had graduated from high school at the age of 18, I had attended 6 different schools, lived in 5 different houses in 4 different towns in 3 different states. In the 27 years since graduating high school, I have lived in 8 different houses/apartments in 4 different cities/towns in 3 different states. Whew! That's a lot. Not as bad as some but still very chaotic.

The one constant in my life throughout these turbulent years is books! In every location, there is always a library or bookstore where I can find all my old friends. When I was young, there were the collected works of Dr. Seuss, the adventures of Peter Rabbit and all of his friends that Breatrix Potter so lovingly wrote about and so many more.  As I grew into my tweens, Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew and the novels of Judy Bloom were always there for me. While I was constantly forced to leave behind all my human friends, I could always find at the local library all my old book friends who have been there for me through think and thin. These paper friends would take me on the most amazing adventures. Then there were all the thousands of new friends to be made. 

40 years strong and I still rely on these same friends. If I'm ever lonely for someone familiar, I can turn to Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy who never cease to amuse and enchant me, or Harry Potter and his magical, and sometimes frightening, adventures, or the funny and wacky life of Stephanie Plum, or Huck Finn's time spent on the Mississippi.  As wonderful as my breathing friends are, my book friends will always remain true and fast.

To this day, walking into a library is like going home. I relish in the hush of the atmosphere, the smell of paper, the thousands of stories just waiting to be found. My new town has a lovely library which I visit several times a week. It is often the highlight of my day. I expect this love affair will last the remainder of my life.  I recognize that I'm not unique in my love of books.  I have a large number of friends who understand this love.  And even though I have purchased a Kindle and do like it, I will always prefer to have a printed book in my hands over an electronic gadget. 

Happy reading!

No comments: