Saturday, August 20, 2011

Secret Societies: Are You a Member of One? I Am!

I'm experiencing something very unique in my world, I am part of a mysterious club.  No, it's not The Freemasons, The Knights Templar or The Order of the Phoenix.  It's the Jeep Wrangler Owners club.  Apparently membership is quite easy - you just have to buy a Jeep Wrangler: any age, color or condition - and you are in.  It took me about 2 months to notice that I was a member of this secret society.  Whoops, I guess it's not going to be 'secret' anymore.  Here's my story:

I started noticing some strange happenings as I was driving my Jeep.  Other Wrangler owners would wave at me.  Nothing big, just a little wave of the hand.  I'd say to myself: "What is that about?"  It was all very strange and cryptic.  I started paying closer and closer attention to other Jeep Wranglers and noticed an increase of waves directed at me and my baby, Betty.  (Yes, I name my cars.  Don't judge me!)  Then one day, 2 men were hanging out of their Wrangler, honking the horn and frantically waving enthusiastically toward Betty and me.  I suddenly realized that I had been a member of a car club for months and hadn't been aware of it.  I began returning the salutes to other Wranglers and their drivers.  The nice thing about this membership is: no initiation fees or hazing.  For the first time in my life, I am a member of the inner sanctum. 

I started having a love affair with Jeep Wranglers from the time I was in my tweens and my best friend had the Barbie Jeep Wrangler.  I have to admit, I was envious of her.  But my Barbie remained pedestrian.  <sniff>  As I got older, I kept longingly wishing that I could afford to buy a Wrangler, but alas, it was never in my budget.  I will shamefully admit, that in the early 90s, I had a faux Wrangler - The Suzuki Samarai and while she was a good car, she wasn't quite right.  Sort of like asking Santa for a Coco Chanel bag and getting a Koko Shanel bag instead.  Close but no cigar.  After 30 years of driving, I have finally gotten my wish and am driving one of my dream cars.  Yes, I do have a few other dream cars - most of which are WAY out of my price range, so Betty will suffice for the moment.  And I am not disappointed by this vehicle, other than the crappy gas mileage.

 
Try not to be too jealous of my new found secret society.  You too can join - you just have to buy a Wrangler.  If you're really nice, I might even show you the secret handshake. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Not everyone ends up owning their dream car. So, congrats to you for having that privilege. It took you 30 years to make it happen, but all the waiting has paid off. Perhaps, you could show off this dreamy car of yours some time. Good day!

Diane Wilson @ Fletcher Chrysler Products