Saturday, August 27, 2011

A Bagel Craving Satisfied

I love to occasionally have a really good bagel.  When you live in NYC as long as I did, you develop certain standards when it comes to bagels.  I don't eat bagels on a regular basis, but I do like having a schmear and a bagel once in a blue moon.  After moving from NYC, I thought it would be impossible to find a decent bagel, particularly on the north shore of Massachusetts.  Finding great seafood - not a problem, but great bagels?  Nah!  Medicore bagels, perhaps.  Well, I have been proven wrong.  

Right in my small town of Newburyport, we have the most amazing bagel shop - Abraham's Bagels.  My neighbors had told me about this place the first day I moved here, but I doubted their veracity on the goodness of these bagels.  Today, I was craving a bagel and cream cheese and thought I'd give Abe's a try.  I walked into the shop and the smell was heavenly! Behind the counter, I saw a worker diligently making bagels exactly like I had seen them made at H&H Bagels in NYC. Holy cow! 

I had planned on only purchasing 1 or 2 bagels but I found myself buying a half dozen (3 Sesame and 3 Everything) and an individual container of light veggie cream cheese.  After a 5 minute walk back home, I opened up the bag and extracted the softest, 'hot from the oven' Everything bagel.  I was ecstatic and immediately curled up on the couch to enjoy this magnificent treasure.  Anyone who lives in NYC knows what a treat fresh from the oven bagels can be.  I immediately put the rest of the bagels in the freezer to be enjoyed in the future.  If I hadn't done that, my fear was that I'd eat all 6 bagels in the course of the next 24 hours.  Trust me, it can be done!  I don't miss much about living in NYC and now that I know I can get a great bagel when I want one, it's one less thing off my "what I miss" list.  Yum!

No comments: