Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Communing with Nature!


After spending 17 years in a concrete jungle, I must say that I'm enjoying taking walks on the wild side.  Today, I spent about 3 hours hiking my way around Maudslay State Park, a 450 acre park which was once the home of the Moseley family - a prominent family in Newburyport.  It was one of the most relaxing and inspiring days that I have had recently.  There is something to be said about shutting yourself off from everything.  Even though I had my cell phone with me (for emergency reasons), I turned the sound off and kept the phone in my pocket the entire time.  I saw approximately 10 people throughout the afternoon, so I spent the bulk of my time using my 4 of my 5 senses: smelling the pine-scented air, watching the wildlife, touching trees and enjoying the sounds of nature.  I think in this busy world that we all call home, we forget how blessed we are with the beauty of the Earth.  It's no wonder that aliens are always coming here to steal our precious resources. 

I did learn a few lessons from today's foray into nature.  One, always bring water and snack when out hiking through the woods.  Two, be sure to wear appropriate footwear.  My $20 Walmart sneakers are not very sturdy and I twisted my ankles a couple of times.  Finally and probably most importantly, always bring some sort of bug repellent.  I apparently have delicious tasting blood because every bug in the park feasted on my very sensitive skin.  I have welts on top of welts.  Otherwise, it was the most perfect day.  Even dodging the horse plop was entertaining. 

You can see the full range of the photos I took at my Flickr page.  Fair warning - I took A LOT of pictures!  And I was slightly obsessed with the wild mushrooms I saw.


No comments: